What to do to a car that sat its whole life?

vtfulton

Reaction score
I recently bought a 6th gen lx that basically sat its whole life in a garage, and while that has its positives, like low miles and good paint, I'm curious if any of you have any recommendations as far as maintenance.

I drove the car in the morning, then it sat for about three hours, then when i started it, i noticed a very slight variation in the RPMS. They were pulsing essentially, within 200-300 RPMS. What could this be?

I was thinking about checking the plugs, but was just curious if you guys have any recommendations, such as trying to get the engine going again by possibly driving at increased RPMS to clean out the motor, or possible a cleaner thats poured into the tank.

Let me know.

Thanks
Vin

vtfulton

Reaction score
was sitting at around 1100 - 1300RPMS.. then when it was warm had no problem very steady RPMS.

vtfulton

Reaction score
The engine was cold, and I know it was just warming up, but I also know its not supposed to pulse. I felt no vibrations or sounds.

kn0x47

Reaction score
replace oil, spark plugs, tranny fluid, and coolant. put some seafoam in the fuel tank and fill it up. After that just check all rubber parts to make sure they haven't dried out and cracked

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
A lot depends on the garage, and how much moisture was able to enter it.

I'd start by draining and refilling all fluids, then see how it drives. And take it easy until the kinks are ironed out. Spark plugs, etc as well.

vtfulton

Reaction score
I do know quite a bit about engines and basic repairs. I was thinking about something like that sea foam stuff. Does anything happen as far as cleaning out the motor if I drive it at higher RPMS? Im not talking about beating on the motor, i just mean like bringing it red line a few times. Im yet to bring it to redline or even above 5,oooRpms just because I'm getting used to the clutch and drive relatively carefully.

vtfulton

Reaction score
Cold started it again, and had no issues. Extreme slight pulse, but that seems normal. Idk if I was just seeing things and overreacting, but I keep an eye on it..

Took the car out on the highway, found redline a few times, hit about 110 :love:

james'99

Reaction score
Do not overlook the timing belt. Just because the manual says 105k doesn't mean time didn't play an effect on its condition. I'd strongly suggest pulling the upper cover, marking the belt, bumping the motor over until you see the entire belt inspecting for dry rot, cracking, etc.

Back