Wheel bearing replacement?

Drew707

Reaction score
So i figured out that my front passenger wheel bearing is bad. is there a DIY to replace this? or is it a must that i take it to the shop to have a it pressed in? ive never had to remove my wheel hubs so i dont really know what to do. do i need special tools?

Edit: not sure if it makes a difference but im a 4cyl auto.

Last edited:

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
Or you could buy mine complete with the spindle. Sure they're not new but that way you can just swap it right over no need to get anything pressed in or out. Of course that's just a suggestion, getting an NEW oem wheel bearing is the best thing to do if you have the funds.

Drew707

Reaction score
Or you could buy mine complete with the spindle. Sure they're not new but that way you can just swap it right over no need to get anything pressed in or out. Of course that's just a suggestion, getting an NEW oem wheel bearing is the best thing to do if you have the funds.

Hmm how much would you sell it?

Omega83

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me two years ago. Like said before, they do have to be pressed out and back in. I have heard of people using a heavy hammer and a peice of wood to beat them out and then back in, but they are in there TIGHT! It would take a lot of banging and that can't be good for the bearing!

When I did it, I removed the whole steering knuckle and took it to a machine shop... they charged me $75 to press the new bearings in (both sides). If you're going to go through the trouble to do one side I suggest you do the other as well... when one goes, the other is soon to follow.

Also, if you are going to take this on and remove the steering knuckle... be very careful of the wheel sensor. It can be very difficult to remove and can break very easily. I cracked mine and now I don't have anti-lock brakes anymore. (if I remember correctly its about $120 per sensor to replace)

Good luck!

Last edited:

Drew707

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me two years ago. Like said before, they do have to be pressed out and back in. I have heard of people using a heavy hammer and a peice of wood to beat them out and then back in, but they are in there TIGHT! It would take a lot of banging and that can't be good for the bearing!

When I did it, I removed the whole steering knuckle and took it to a machine shop... they charged me $75 to press the new bearings in (both sides). If you're going to go through the trouble to do one side I suggest you do the other as well... when one goes, the other is soon to follow.

Also, if you are going to take this on and remove the steering knuckle... be very careful of the wheel sensor. It can be very difficult to remove and can break very easily. I cracked mine and now I don't have anti-lock brakes anymore. (if I remember correctly its about $120 per sensor to replace)

Good luck!

any special tools to remove the steering knuckle? ball joint seperator or like a hub puller or something?

G'sAccord01

Reaction score
So I need to replace my bearings and I'm doing so TODAY. I've read the rear bearings don't need to be pressed since I'm replacing the assembly. IS this true?? Only the front bearings need to be pressed?

Pudge49902

Reaction score
i changed my bearings and i just replaced the whole rear kit...it makes for an easier install....so yea its true they dont need to be pressed

xi0utlawstarix

Reaction score
Take the whole knuckle out and have a shop do it for you...$20. Or do what I did...buy a 12 ton press from harbor freight.

99EXCoupe

Reaction score
So I need to replace my bearings and I'm doing so TODAY. I've read the rear bearings don't need to be pressed since I'm replacing the assembly. IS this true?? Only the front bearings need to be pressed?

The rear bearings are an assembly and do not need to be pressed. They will, on occasion, come off in two pieces with the inner race remaining stuck on the spindle. It is a 2 piece inner race and the half closest to the brake disk shield is usually stuck.

If this happens, remove the disk heat shield, use a hammer and chisel, and slowly tap on the raised part of the race that mates to the spindle. It will take a little while, but will eventually break free.

Be sure to look up the torque spacs for installing the spindle nut. The specified torque is what sets the bearing pre-load, and a wrong torque setting will result in premature bearing failure. My rear bearings were torqued at 139 foot pounds.

There is a good youtube video on changing accord rear bearings.

Back