Where did my oil go???

sb001

Banned
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I did my own oil change on my 98 Accord LX sedan. I used all Honda parts (filter, crush washer etc) but as I did not have the Honda filter wrench to properly tighten the new filter I just tightened it by hand as best I could. I then refilled the oil and took the car for a quick spin, then rechecked the oil level and topped it off, and checked for leaks did not see any.
A couple days ago I rechecked my oil level and it was below the low marker on the dipstick! WTF? I immediately checked under the car for any signs of oil leakage, but nothing- no drips on the garage floor, etc. Is it possible that the filter itself had not filled yet when I filled it the first time, and it just needed to be given more time? I topped it off again and am keeping a close eye on it right now, checked it again yesterday and it seems to be at the same level so that's a good sign, but it's still got me worried. Thanks

xci.ed6

Reaction score
It can leak or burn. Only options.

It can mix with coolant/atf, with other probs

sb001

Banned
Reaction score
It can leak or burn. Only options.

It can mix with coolant/atf, with other probs

Absolutely no smoke coming out my tailpipe whatsoever, and absolutely no oil drips/ puddles on the floor under it.
I checked oil level again today and it seems to be fine still, so the only thing I can think of is that it somehow had to "fill" the new filter and had not done so when I first checked it.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
start the engine for 60 sec after new filter & oil, refill, close hood & drive.

Latest posts

Back