H23a Vtec swap

Craize

Reaction score
Well got the engine 1998 obd2 H23a Vtec and most of the parts to be able to get it installed.
Engine, transmission, jdm PCF ECU and new timing components w/ waterpump and new seals.
All I have done so far is take a few pieces of the engine to come out and put all the seals and timing components on the new engine.
So here are some Pics and I'll get into more detail after things start to take form.

Craize

Reaction score
List of parts so far:

PARTS GOT FOR H23A VTEC (ALL PUCHASED FOR A 98 PRELUDE 2.2VTEC)
Gates Racing camshaft & balancer belt (T226RB)
Beck Arnley tensioner pulleys & auto tensioner
Aisin waterpump
Honda cam, balance shaft & crank seals
Napa auto transmission output shaft seals
Napa vavlecover gasket set
Ngk spark plugs & wires
Napa distributor cap & rotor

PARTS GOT FOR STOCK ACCORD:
Napa engine & transmission replacement mounts
Napa belts & hoses
Napa fuel filter

That's it so far I'll come back and edit in part numbers later.
Today I stripped the wiring harness off the JDM engine and disconnected the stock engine so all that's holding me from dropping it out is two mounts, trans cooler hoses and fuel lines so hopefully I will have it dropped by tomorrow.
Customers cars come first :( . So I am taking the stock harness out of the accord with the engine to be able to attach it to the H23a while it's out of the car. It will be easier to lengthen the harness in the spots that it needs it and to add sub harnesses for the dizzy, IAB and others. I'll add more pics tomorrow.

Craize

Reaction score
Well today after work I dropped the old engine and pulled the factory wiring harness out of the Accord that I will be swapping over to the H23a. Now I'm in the process of stripping down the harness that came with the H23a to get harness pieces for the Iab butterflies and to lengthen other electrical pigtails that need to be stretched. I found that the connector on the EGR valve is turned 180deg so i'll try the factory accord one so I wont have to mess with that harness.I did find out that the JDM auto trans wiring is the exact same as the accords with one minor difference-- the input shaft & output shaft speed sensors are 3 wire on the JDM trans and the Accords are 2 wire( well just another wire to run LOL).Well thats it for today but tomorrow I might go into the shop and clean the engine compartment and do some more wiring.

Craize

Reaction score
Well today after work I just about got all the wiring done except for lengthening the AIT sensor and the new end on the oil pressure switch. Need to adjust how the harness routes over the injectors.
I did take the original wires for the crank pickup on the oil pump and back fed it through the harness. Then I de-pinned it and connected all the pins into the 8 pin connector so it hooks up like factory.
The 3 wire input and output speed sensors on the tranny I found out that the wires are the same as my 2 wire on the Accord with the exception of a yellow/green & yellow//red wire picked up from the harness(used ohm meter to find out which) and just tapped into those wires(soldered and heatshrinked).

Craize

Reaction score
Blue top H23a vtec out of a 1998 JDM Accord SIR wagon, but have to get some timing parts from h22a4 vtec out of a 98 prelude

Last edited:
Back