98 Accord LX dies/shuts off while driving....HELP!

001Stunna

Reaction score

DrewFresh

Reaction score
I had this same problem when my car will shut off on me doing 65mph or whatever on the highway. It was my ignition switch. I wasted money by replacing the main relay thanks to the dealer and that wasn't the call specially after they said my ignition switch was fine

Styles93

Reaction score
Its the ignition switch. A friend of mine had the same problem, we went over to my mechanic explained the situation and he said it was the ignition switch. He Changed it and my friend never had that problem again.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

jmh

Reaction score
I had this same issue! I just got my '98 accord 2 weeks ago. I had it cut out on me the first day I drove to work. I researched when I got to work and I read a ton of stuff about problematic starter switches. I bought a new one and replaced my switch that night cause who wants to stall at 70mph?? Not me.
Anyways, I used my ohm tester on my old switch before i completely removed it and I put its through its paces by switching on and off many many times and I could not get it to fail. I replaced my switch anyways with the new one just so I didn't have to worry about it. The next week, it stalled again while i was on my way home from work.

I got home and researched the hell out of it. Posted a few posts, but then I found a video by a guy on YouTube named ScannerDanner troubleshooting a honda fuel pump issue and found a bad solder joint on the main relay to be the cause. I pulled my main relay and sure enough, it was shorting out with a bad solder joint on the 12v relay side closest to the edge. I re-soldered this joint proper and reflowed all other joints and have been driving ok since.

I ended up replacing my fuel pump/strainer, spark plugs and fuel pressure regulator later that day too which seemed to help a bit with some acceleration issues I was seeing. So far my car had been solid. Drive 80 miles to work and back today with no probs.

Check your main relay. Worth a shot. Search for ScannerDanner or even ericthecarguy and main relay.

Last edited:

hondaluver

Reaction score
I had this same issue! I just got my '98 accord 2 weeks ago. I had it cut out on me the first day I drove to work. I researched when I got to work and I read a ton of stuff about problematic starter switches. I bought a new one and replaced my switch that night cause who wants to stall at 70mph?? Not me.
Anyways, I used my ohm tester on my old switch before i completely removed it and I put its through its paces by switching on and off many many times and I could not get it to fail. I replaced my switch anyways with the new one just so I didn't have to worry about it. The next week, it stalled again while i was on my way home from work.

I got home and researched the hell out of it. Posted a few posts, but then I found a video by a guy on YouTube named ScannerDanner troubleshooting a honda fuel pump issue and found a bad solder joint on the main relay to be the cause. I pulled my main relay and sure enough, it was shorting out with a bad solder joint on the 12v relay side closest to the edge. I re-soldered this joint proper and reflowed all other joints and have been driving ok since.

I ended up replacing my fuel pump/strainer, spark plugs and fuel pressure regulator later that day too which seemed to help a bit with some acceleration issues I was seeing. So far my car had been solid. Drive 80 miles to work and back today with no probs.

Check your main relay. Worth a shot. Search for ScannerDanner or even ericthecarguy and main relay.

Old thread but if it is the relay would the gauges and key symbol flash and drop to zero??

Silver99

Reaction score
So glad i found this my car has been doing this and i was lost since it only has 60,000 miles. Thanks!

Nocture

Reaction score
I had this intermittent problem as well.

Thoroughly cleaned the intake manifold, iacv, fitv, installed new seals where needed. Changed coil inside distributor, the main relay, ignition switch. Changed the ignition module inside the distributor.... Finally! problem gone :driving:. Fuel pump was the last resort since they rarely go out.

Back