Multiple leaks on '99 F23A4

Enne

Reaction score
So I haven't been driving Selene as much lately, and because of that I haven't been checking under the hood as often as I should have. Just a note before I begin, I cleaned the engine bay in mid-January of 2018 and it did not look this bad at all. So in the past 4 months or so it has gotten like this.

Checked the oil yesterday and it was almost empty. Filled it with 5 quarts of 5W-30 high mileage oil. Found multiple leak points this morning after taking a second look when I arrived at work. Before I leave for home today, I will check the oil again...

See attached photos... Any help on where they might be coming from would be a big help. My suspicions are the following:

Valve cover gasket (replaced three years ago)
Valve cover bolt gaskets (also replaced three years ago; one definitely tore a little when installing)
Oil pan gasket (replaced two years ago)
Power steering pump
Distributor inner o-ring (cap and rotor were replaced three years ago but the gaskets were not)

The power steering doesn't make any noise nor is it hard to turn the wheel. I filled it a year ago with a little Honda PSF, because it was barely below the low mark.

In the last photo, that's some kind of sensor coming out on the driver's side of the engine bay, near the rear of the engine, and I'm not sure what it is or why it's covered in fluid. In January, that sensor was clean and dry as a bone.

965958953d1b49916ff9486ea5fee1c9.jpg
d88f2247655176f1c4d0147f606c7016.jpg
c88bb49b4c928c55de9b61b29312ecb3.jpg
7b0831b7c0d8e938e3ef0420dc299434.jpg
ba80af6c837fc02cad3cf2d8d98a4b86.jpg
26a0d9b282f1c38ad886fb28a1ca87f2.jpg
7747720f8f20e205e936bf42c8188447.jpg

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
30110-pc6-005 - dizzy

P/S pump -
91249-p2a-003
91348-p2a-003
91349-p2a-003

I'd at least do the distributor o-ring first and clean everything else with some engine bay cleaner and a power washer. Then keep an eye for more leaks. That sensor is just dirty from all the other oil being flung around the bay.

Enne

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to tackle that inner o-ring myself so that might be a job for the shop. The PS pump I may be able to do. I want to order more Honda PS fluid first before I try tackling that though.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to tackle that inner o-ring myself so that might be a job for the shop. The PS pump I may be able to do. I want to order more Honda PS fluid first before I try tackling that though.

It's like 3 12mm bolts, pull the distributor off, change o-rings, bolt it back on.

Enne

Reaction score
I've heard the inner one is hard to do and/or the proper size ring is hard to find. And like there's some kind of pin that you need to pull out/push back in and it breaks easily?

Edit: I have this dizzy o-ring that I purchased from RA a while ago for the Prelude (but didn't use), is this the same gasket? BECK/ARNLEY 0396575 {#30110PA1732, 30110PC6005, PA562}

Edit 2: Would one of these power steering pump seal kits be a good idea? https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...54,steering,power+steering+pump+seal+kit,7407

Last edited:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
30110-pc6-005 - dizzy

P/S pump -
91249-p2a-003
91348-p2a-003
91349-p2a-003

I'd at least do the distributor o-ring first and clean everything else with some engine bay cleaner and a power washer. Then keep an eye for more leaks. That sensor is just dirty from all the other oil being flung around the bay.

I've heard the inner one is hard to do and/or the proper size ring is hard to find. And like there's some kind of pin that you need to pull out/push back in and it breaks easily?

Edit: I have this dizzy o-ring that I purchased from RA a while ago for the Prelude (but didn't use), is this the same gasket? BECK/ARNLEY 0396575 {#30110PA1732, 30110PC6005, PA562}

Edit 2: Would one of these power steering pump seal kits be a good idea? https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...54,steering,power+steering+pump+seal+kit,7407

I don't know where you've heard that the distributor o-ring is hard to change but whoever told you is an idiot. It literally couldn't be any easier to do.

I wouldn't buy a seal kit for the P/S pump until you know for sure that it's leaking there

Enne

Reaction score
lol, well I have no experience with changing the o-ring so since that's all I've ever heard about someone else doing it, it I assumed it was true. After reading the service manual it seems a lot harder than I thought even if that isn't true... I don't think I can do it.

I wouldn't buy a seal kit for the P/S pump until you know for sure that it's leaking there
I mean, it's covered in something really gross and I don't know where else it could be coming from on the PS pump since it's isolated from anything else... I guess I'll try cleaning it all up and very closely monitoring the leaks. I read about having someone start the car and turn the wheel to see if any fluid comes out of the pump or hoses. So I can try that after I clean it.

Last edited:

capsidx

Reaction score
The pin you’re referring to is the pin that goes through the rotor assembly on the engine side and you only need to change it to change out the fork that goes into the cam shaft. The pin does break easily and it’s a complete b1tch to hammer out, has a slight taper so it only goes in one way. I’d recommend changing the dizzy if you ever need to change out this pin. Also for o rings I recommend getting oem Honda. It’s a little more expensive but I bought a few aftermarket ones and while they were the same diameter, they were thinner (cost saving I assume). I bought about 3 different ones from different after market manufacturers and they all leaked. Once I put the honda one in with a small layer of rtv it stopped leaking and the engine went long before the distributor leaked again or would leak again.

I would say get a genuine Honda o ring for the dizzy, see if it stops leaking and if not put a thin layer of rtv around the o ring and let it dry. So o ring first then rtv. This way it’s super easy to remove.

mossberg

Reaction score
The pin you’re referring to is the pin that goes through the rotor assembly on the engine side and you only need to change it to change out the fork that goes into the cam shaft. The pin does break easily and it’s a complete b1tch to hammer out, has a slight taper so it only goes in one way. I’d recommend changing the dizzy if you ever need to change out this pin.
Yes, if you're hammering the pin, this job is a pain.

Use a motorcycle chain tool instead (I got one from Hazard Fraught), and replacing the distributor shaft seal becomes an easy job.

OP, you only need to replace that seal if the old seal is allowing oil into the distributor - if it is, you'll see oil when you remove the distributor cap (you might even see it along the seam where the cap meets the distributor).

Enne

Reaction score
Okay, so small update here. I had the dizzy mount o-ring replaced, the one that you replace by just taking the dizzy off. I got an OEM part for it. That stemmed a little of the leaking, as I don't see nearly as much oil covering that space between dizzy and valve cover anymore. But, I'm still seeing oil coming from the dizzy cap, which I assume is the inner o-ring. So, I will probably get the dizzy replaced (or have the shop replace the inner ring, I don't think I could do it properly) soon. The valve cover is leaking also. I will get both of these replaced and then monitor the oil leak from there.

I found out I've been putting too much oil in the car during oil changes. I could have sworn it says to put 5 quarts in. But the other day, I read the owner's manual, and it states 4.5 quarts MAX. So, no wonder these seals are going bad. I feel like an idiot.

The PS pump is also leaking, but when I had it inspected in November, they said I could replace the seals or the pump entirely, but it's not dire. The reservoir isn't losing that much fluid; should be okay for the time being.

Back