6 Gen Accord dilemma, what would you do?

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I have an 2002 Accord with 90k miles on it. It is a 4 banger, 5 spd. Though that number is low, this car has seen probably thousands of sub 1 mile trips. I also acquired a really nice S2000 that needs cosmetic work (new top and paint for about 1/2 the car, clear coat failed on original paint but it got hit, that paint looks new), but has been maintained mechanically well with about 151,000 miles, have all service records, etc.

Choice 1: Keep the S2000 as my "fun car" and keep my accord. Due to using low quality fabric I need to spend about $500 on interior pieces as non leather cards didn't have removable pieces where I replaced the fabric. Had I known this, I wouldn't have done it. Then I need about $600 in aftermarket stereo upgrades to keep me liking it. I would then keep the S2000, which I like more than I thought (I got an amazing deal through faimily) and fix it as need be. I feel my Accord is boring me, but I do like the body style, so new wheels and coil overs could make me love it for some time. Basically, keep the S2000, make my Accord to what it used to be, but with more quality, and go on with life.

Choice 2: Sell both cars and buy something new. I am thinking TSX Wagon. I haven't test drove one, but it seems sporty enough, and is AT. AT is kind of important as I have anxiety disorder so it is way more easy to know someone else can drive my car, plus I need to transport things from time to time. My friend has a truck but not reliable enough to do things promptly so it isn't optimal to rely on him. I have only driven MT's really, but when I drive long distance, I will rent one so everyone can drive and that is a big stress reliever.

Choice 3: Keep both cars and keep them as is, or mostly. I am a full time MBA student, I make some money but it just goes to living. Pay insurance on both, keep both, and wait until I get employed again to start looking for something new that may be lower or higher in budget, depending on where I land. Let my frustrations with my 20 year old car (almost) not bug me, keep the S2000 as is, and restore or sell when the price is right, or keep it forever and just be patient.

Part of this come from the fact my 2002 Accord was not nearly as reliable as my 91, or my brothers 94. Yes, I am old. I feel every mile I put on the S2000 makes it less desirable, it still is in a good mileage range but if I put 20k on it, it is in another bracket (though I only drove it 720ish miles in the last year). The other part is the MT/AT debate. I love my MT but I hate being the only person who can drive my car. Lastly, perceived professionalism. I am 37 years old. Though I own a home and have made a bunch of money investing, that goes back to the house, and though I am not young, people have paid me out. But nobody is knowing that, I still feel the car is status, and I have own an expensive home, I wonder if a newer car would round out my feelings with live style. I am materially wealthy but cash broke at this point in time. One year or two, I may be in a totally different situation.

What would you do?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I guess my question is, what is the reason you are thinking about switching up your car situation in the first place? Do you need a bigger vehicle for hauling stuff? Are you tired of what you have now or burdened by constant maintenance? Are you just wanting to try something different or perhaps wanting a newer car for a different car ownership experience?

If there isn’t a defined reason carrying some significant weight that is bringing about a need for switching up vehicles, I wouldn’t do it especially since you are as student and as you put it, cash broke. I think the wise decision is to wait until you get a full time job in your field, save up a sizeable down payment, and then get a newer car. And in the meantime if you need something for transporting stuff I would find a $1500 beater wagon or truck that’s cheap to operate and just put basic liability insurance on it.

Or if you could come out pretty even from the money you’d make selling both cars to buy a TSX wagon or whatever else, then that may not be a bad move. Just make sure whatever newer car you get isn’t going to bury you financially.

As for MT or AT, you have to do whatever makes the most sense there. But I will say I only have manual cars which my wife can’t drive, been that way since we met until now where we have two kids and a house, and it’s never been an issue. Right now she is without a car, so I have been just driving her and the kids around in mine. But everyone is different, you have to do what feels right and makes sense in your life.

I get the perceived status thing but a newer car is not always better in that regard. A clean older car can be every bit as classy as a newer car if it is in good condition and driven maturely. And if it’s modified, it just has to be done tastefully. I think perceived professionalism is more about you…how you carry yourself, how you take care of your things, how you speak to people, how you dress in public/work, etc.

I turn 37 next month, thanks for such a bleak outlook on age. :lawl:

Side note, I have red perforated leather door panels for a coupe sitting around if you want to switch things up in yours.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
The main reason reason I would want to get rid of my Accord is because it really isn't particular fun to drive. Truth be told, when I bought it, I had no intention on keeping it long term, now I have had it for 16 years. So now, many regular, non performance cars are just as fun to drive. Secondly, I am just a bit bored of it. Third, though it isn't an unreliable car by any means, the cost of repair for what it's worth can be annoying. Replacing aftermarket struts for example, was expensive. Similarly, I have sensors go out, etc. Now that I live in a condo vs. a single family home, it's much harder to work on. I think my last thing, to fix it up and get it to where I want to is definitely not worth it. It needs a new stereo, the front plastic below the bumper is done, and some few odds and ends really stack up on a car that might be worth a few grand, plus I would like to put wheels on it, I still have my old 17's but one is bent, and they could be straightened, but I choose these wheels over 10 years ago, I would like to update. So, to get it to where I would be content is probably not money I want to spend. Given the fact I would likely get rid of it once I go back to work, I have kind of left everything I don't like about it as is, which probably makes me not like the car as much as I could either.

On the contrary, having a nice car is a big liability where I live. Oakland, CA has become super expensive to live but many are refusing to be displaced and car breaks ins, stolen parts (wheels/catalytic converters/etc) are being stolen right out of parking lots so an older car doesn't seem to warrant the attention. Same with my S2000, it has been parked a few spaces from a new Civic or Accord that got there wheels stolen. It's hard to explain but because I live in a nice part of town, people really target my area for break ins and theft. So it is a big plus there.

The MT/AT is a factor as well. Since I have two MT's, it's not so fun in the Accord. I also hate that someone can't drive my car on long trips. Having anxiety disorder, this can make road trips challenging.

Also, even though the S2000 is a very fun car, and actually a very good car in the city as well due to good power, great brakes, small size, etc, it isn't a car I would have bought for what they are worth. I like the fact they are appreciating but other than that, I kind of think one car I really choose for myself, may be better than 2 I just like enough to keep.

T.$.Racing

Reaction score
IMHO I think option 3 is the most sound decision. Use the Accord for daily duty and keep the S2k nice and don't let it decay any further until you can get the paint and top addressed properly.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
IMHO I think option 3 is the most sound decision. Use the Accord for daily duty and keep the S2k nice and don't let it decay any further until you can get the paint and top addressed properly.
Hella months too late but that is what I am thinking. I am about to price out everything I need or want to replace (I am undoing my white LED conversion that didn't have diodes that stood the test of time, plus undoing some interior mods, and thinking about another 15K. I also got to decide if I want to replace my front lip, long gone, and little things here and there. I have been inventorying what I dislike about the car and it is mainly little things I modded at one point that I now just want stock, though I don't want to raise it back up, and wheels still might be in the picture. I also have considered lower end, but quality coil overs, because I am getting the itch to do just coil overs and wheels on my S2000 at some point, and wheels and tires. Done plenty of cars on springs, never coilovers, might go used if I do it on the Accord, new on the S2000.

I am definitely keeping the S2000 as nice as possible (in my garage, covered when it is clean enough-I am not going to a car was with the roof, but I can't wash it at my own condo) and trying to keep mileage off of it. However, I am still considering another car to replace the Accord, just taking my time.

Back