High Mileage 6th Gens

bpp

Reaction score
Since timing belts were brought up....any one change one on a v6 on their own??? Been reading thru the Haynes...doesn't sound too hard just time consuming... but I'll save a good amount of money :D

I just changed the timing belt/water pump about 2 months ago. It probably took us 4+ hours but we werent exactly rushing. Things that stuck out in my head:

-Supported the engine with the jack after taking the side engine mount out and we had to slightly raise/lower the engine sometimes to access certain components
-Bled the engine and radiator of coolant (my friend opened the valve in the back of the engine but he did whine about it alot). I think you need about 1.5 gallons.
-Used the blip method to remove crank pulley bolt. I would avoid this method if possible but it worked. We used the crank pulley holder tool to retighten it along with a long extension and torque wrench.
-Used an angle grinder to grind down the edge on one of the tips on the battery post that is used to hold the the auto tensioning pulley
-Used a small retractable mirror to check the TDC marks with the timing belt covers on.
-We didnt take the spark plugs out and my friend actually put the belt back on so I am not much help here. All I know is it went on quick and did not give us any trouble (followed the pattern in the book).
-We replaced the autotensioner.

Access to everything was the biggest issue. Its a somewhat simple procedure but accessing all the cover bolts, threading the battery post in, removing the oil dipstick, opening the coolant bleeder valve, etc. is a pain in the butt. FWIW, the belt and water pump looked absolutely great when I changed it at 115K(looked like it had another 50K miles easily left on both of them).

HomerJay

Reaction score
2001 with 113K here.

My first car was a 2-door 1987 Accord. When I gave it away, it had 215,000 miles. It needed a few hundred in work but I decided to donate it instead. I regret that now looking back at pictures I just found...all she needed was a drop and some emissions work. Oh, well.

reydio

Reaction score
Just purchased a 99 with 99,000 miles on it. I will do all the maintenance next week, i.e. sparkplugs, distributor cap and rotor, oil, air filter(k & n and take out the resonator). I will probably go ahead and take apart the intake manifold and clean all the carbons out. Future upgrades will be headers w/ new piping, CAI, and a fresh paint with a new rear bumper(previous owner probably got hit in the rear).

The car runs great, and oh yeah, new carpet. Previous owner looks like spilled soda inside and did not do a good clean up. Ground Control with Koni Yellows will be my suspension of choice. Rims to be determined later.

res0xiz9

Reaction score
my 98 coupe 4cyl is about to hit 190K soon, original motor & auto trans.. trans started slippin like 15k miles ago but i have a 5th gen 5 spd sitting in my garage :). suspension is shot but i got some prokits that are waiting for tokico blues when i get money. bout to change out my timing belt also.. still runnin strong though! except for the slipping trans.. lol. oh yea, i had a problem with my ignition coil recently and had to replace it, it was pretty worn out but understandable at 180K+ miles

Mo4sho

Reaction score

196,000 4cyl still runs smooth and nice maybe swap it out @ 200k w/ H22

Back