Custom Gauge Design and Creation

Zero-Defect

Reaction score
Well if you're looking for better spread of light, go with these. They may seem expensive, but unless you plan on fabricating your own circuit board so you control where the lighting is coming from, these are the next best thing. I've got them in my cluster and they were well worth it. Now I don't know if you have a 4cyl or a v6 so I don't know how many 194's you'll need, but if you have a 4cyl, you're going to need a 74 for the temp and in terms of color temp, the closest thing to the 194's I suggested would be these. It uses the same .5 watt LED is the same used for the 194's. Also, in terms of the material you're using to print them on, you might want to check out some local sign shops and see if any of them carry backlit vinyl with adhesive. It'll prob cost a little more than printing it yourself, but the results should be nicer. Also, if you need some extra help with the design, I've got a few as well (was planning on doing this when I have more time)

Drakivaz

Reaction score
Well if you're looking for better spread of light, go with these. They may seem expensive, but unless you plan on fabricating your own circuit board so you control where the lighting is coming from, these are the next best thing. I've got them in my cluster and they were well worth it. Now I don't know if you have a 4cyl or a v6 so I don't know how many 194's you'll need, but if you have a 4cyl, you're going to need a 74 for the temp and in terms of color temp, the closest thing to the 194's I suggested would be these. It uses the same .5 watt LED is the same used for the 194's. Also, in terms of the material you're using to print them on, you might want to check out some local sign shops and see if any of them carry backlit vinyl with adhesive. It'll prob cost a little more than printing it yourself, but the results should be nicer. Also, if you need some extra help with the design, I've got a few as well (was planning on doing this when I have more time)

I think I have ones like that and they are cheaper.

http://ledautomotive.com/OrderInfo/Misc/168194RadialInfo.asp

http://ledautomotive.com/OrderInfo/Misc/WedgeHPInfo.asp

I would like to know what this backlit vinyl is. See, the issue I am dealing with now is that in order to get light exclusion on the black and yet let light through on the white, I need 3 extra layers of black on the back of the main gauge part. If I had perfect blockout where the black is, I would at least need two layers (main layer which has everything (seatbelt/gas lights) and a thin layer of black to hide the seatbelt/gas lights when they are not lit. This extra layer also provides the brighter rim around the PRND21 lights.

The other problem i am running into is that the white is still a bit grainy on the main color layer. I could probably solve that by printing on photo paper for the main layer, but that would block more light since photo paper is thicker. A LOT of this would work better if I could find a transparency that would print white as white instead of white as clear. I don't even know if that is possible on transparencies.

and I have a 4 Cyl.

Zero-Defect

Reaction score
Well for one thing, those bulbs you have... yeah, they aren't going to cut it at all. Those are basic LED's, you'll want at least SMT LED's. In comparison, the LED's I suggested are at least 10 times better in terms of brightness and light distribution. If you're concerned with the black being blocked out, what you can talk to the sign shop about is multiple layers, having your design printed on backlit vinyl (I'll find out which brand would be best) and having the black cut out of black vinyl (probably Avery or Oracal, whichever they carry). If that would work for you, I could walk you through the best way of applying them so they line up right. One more thing, I remember you were trying to get a matte-like finish. You can talk to them about matte laminate. It'd be clear but give a matte finish to the gauges (not as matte as the OEM but a lot more matte than what yours probably are). Any more questions, feel free to pm me (I'll get an email notification so I'll get back to you quicker).

cantafordaccord

Reaction score
thats pretty cool are you going to make a few more designs?I might be interested in something if it catches my eye. looks real nice

arise257

Reaction score
The other problem i am running into is that the white is still a bit grainy on the main color layer. I could probably solve that by printing on photo paper for the main layer, but that would block more light since photo paper is thicker. A LOT of this would work better if I could find a transparency that would print white as white instead of white as clear. I don't even know if that is possible on transparencies.

Have you tried/thought of synthetic paper? You could visit Kinkos for that. They offer it as coverstock for presentations. See if they'll sell you like 20 sheets of it or something. That would probably be the best bet - that stuff is very high-quality - thick yet translucent and matte-finished. I'll bet it would distribute light very well.

The ghetto option would be to cut up something that light can pass through and is white. The first thing that pops into my head are plastic white grocery or trash bags. Depends on the opacity of the bag, but that seems workable too.

Good luck. I'd be interested in seeing your templates. I'm a graphic designer and I'm extremely proficient in Illustrator. Perhaps I could standardize the layout and arrangement of transparencies for 6th Gen accords - maybe even make a few custom ones for people. It would be a decent asset for this community.

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
Guys, there's been no reply since April 2009.

The Necromancer has summoned!!! :lawl:

Back