F20b swap + F23a Tranny = ???

Reaction score
this thread shouldnt last long. ive done plenty of research on here. turns out the f20b AUTO mated with f20b Auto ecu of course and also with the F23a tranny spells running like a dog. not really dangerous but waste of time as f20b is made for short high revs as opposed to f23s long tall gears. yet thing is f20b auto is 180hp. f23a is 150hp. with the f20b/f23a contraption will it suffer so greatly that it actually turns out slower than the original f23a engine? or will it still run like a dog but have more than 150hp? there are mods on the chassis so they will also be hooked up to the f20b. yes in the future there will be a swap for the auto tranny of the f20b more than likely. but as of now what am i lookin at "doc"???

sodaks2k

Reaction score
You should mention that you have an auto tranny, unless that's what you mean when you say f23a, even though f23a denotes the engine.

Reaction score
i did. the title says it...any other time i was referring to the engine.

but i do admit i forgot to say it was an auto

Drift

Reaction score
You might as well not do it at all if you're going to use an auto tranny. What a waste!

Reaction score
Well yeah but the h22 is more expensive. I found a f20b for 530...and I had a feeling people were going to bash me for auto...but no one has a complete auto f20b write up...and I emphasize on complete. The h22 is ok but more expensive and slightly more work I heard. I want straight drop in with very few mods. And in the title it says f23a tranny...and if u read my post correctly you will see I said that I admit I didn't say it was auto but I did state it was the tranny like ur post says that's the engine.

Well I will be getting the f20b bcuz I need a ride to work everyday. So thing is does anyone truly know how bad it is when paired with a f23a auto tranny? And I hear that sometimes the dizzy won't plug up right. Then again most stories I heard were from a manual swap

Drift

Reaction score
Well I will be getting the f20b bcuz I need a ride to work everyday. So thing is does anyone truly know how bad it is when paired with a f23a auto tranny? And I hear that sometimes the dizzy won't plug up right. Then again most stories I heard were from a manual swap

Nobody here knows, because no one here has down this before.

And the f20b is identical to the h22 except of the displacement. So my h22 swap should be as complete as you would need it to be, other than the auto/manual thing.

You're going to run into a ton of issues, but none of them should be specific to the f20 engine.

Reaction score
Well I talked to a guy who knows them and he says id have to wire in the crank angle sensor and the knock sensor. Only question is how is that done? How'd. You do that on your h22 or did you have to?

JEER42

Reaction score
Nobody here knows, because no one here has down this before.

And the f20b is identical to the h22 except of the displacement. So my h22 swap should be as complete as you would need it to be, other than the auto/manual thing.

You're going to run into a ton of issues, but none of them should be specific to the f20 engine.

I tried it... It was a disaster. Don't waste your time and money with the auto tranny, it will not work, trust me. I ended up having to do a 5speed swap. If you do this, I strongly suggest you get a manual H22 tranny. Drift is right about running into TONS of issues.

Last edited:
Back