Speedo+V-TEC after 5spd swap

dcmystery21

Reaction score
there are various ways to go about doing it. but either way you are going to have to do some wiring.

in the first picture, there are some wires wired together in the background. make sure you put these wires together. they are part of the big tranny plug, and the two wires used, are on the tranny side of the plug. these wires are for the park switch that prevents the motor from starting. without these wires put together, the car will not start.

Last edited:

low430

Reaction score
Hey erick u got a pm...i jus did my yesterday but the last step was my only issue

What was your issue?

Car will run in limp mode with AUTO ecu, SLOW! ther are some wires on the AT harness plug you have to twist together, (just 2) essentially you are wiring the car into N to allow the car to start, YOu cant wire the car into drive otherwise the car will not start. DUH

For VTEC to work correctly you must install manual ECU
for the Manual ecu, basically you are sourcing power from the cruise control cuircut and sending it to the vss and returning the signal to the glove box area, 3 wires to run 1 ground 1 power from cruise 1 return signal

Its pretty easy to do the wiring the trick is to get a locksmith to reprogram your keys to match your new ecu. I had all 3 of my keys done car up and running for 40 bucks.

Last edited:

cuberoach

Reaction score
Hello, i just read your post on the speedo/vtec mod after doing a 5spd swap. i recently bought a 98 accord and the previous owner did the 5spd swap but the speedo never worked. i looked at post and i have done about 50% of it but one issue im having is that i dont have the green cable from the original speed sensor. it looks like that was cut off and im left with only the blue cable. is there a way around this maybe connecting directly from the vss to the ecu? oh and the vss has been replaced too. oh and manual ecu with auto harness. thanks

BkzTafetta

Reaction score
ok i did this write up when i did my auto to 5spd swap..i just changed my whole harness to a 5spd one does that mean i have to undo all this?

SuperMidget

Reaction score
dude if you changed your whole engine harness, you don't need to do any of this... it would be plug and play if maintaining OBD2... if not, you would need that 2 wire IAC with a blacktrax plate
(and a new coolant temp sensor installed in your block for 00-02's)

Question people of the superb thread (thank you by the way OP) and hopefully people are subscribed

I'm actually in the middle of my swap and totally hung up on the clutch pedal... Its actually the trickiest..

I tried to fabricate an upper bracket/brace but it's just a waste of time now... and I want to do it right, just can't find the part anywhere online, Honda parts catelogs, dealerships... I did come across a rare 5 sped accord 98 (or something) in the junkers, but forgot to grab it..

Anyway, there is plastic covering the bolt(s) that attaches it to the upper subframe, and I don't think it's the dash.

Any ideas?

ps, anyone touch the clutch pedal wiring? Or does everyone's car start with no depressed clutch?

BkzTafetta

Reaction score
yea no need to wire up the clutch pedal unless ur that anal....my car starts like an auto once u put the 2 wires of the big plug off the auto tranny.

SuperMidget

Reaction score
just got it in, i was trying to install the wrong bracket..

went to the junkers and drilled out the upper clutch pedal bracket which was riveted to the top substructure... installed now and its rock solid.

SuperMidget

Reaction score
Can I get confrimation that those 2 tranny plug wires connected under the hood there are in fact the GREY and RED/WHITE wires?

Back