05-08 RL J35A8 with Automatic complete Swap

jayycobb

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I am sick of my 99 Accord Transmission failing all the time and want to gain more power. No I dont want a 6 speed. I just want my car to operate with a transmission that wont fail after 20k miles and in the process an engine with 286hp/256ft lbs or torque!

I have done quite a few B series swaps back in the day and now just wondering if this has been done and what is involved to have everything plug in, bolt up and function properly.

Are there any mods that have to be done to the subframe etc?? I am planning on buying a "wrecked from the back or side" 05-08 Acura RL to get all the parts I need out of it. I have searched and cannot find a thread that discusses this engine/trans combo, if there is one that I missed can you point me in the right direction? Any recommendations are appreciated as I dont want to spend a ton of $$ and get stuck with 2 cars that wont move... thank you!

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
As far as I know that has not specifically been done. Talk to James (halabeaster54) on here, you can reach him by PM or he may just chime in. He would be a good insight for this

Mikey

Reaction score
Im sure a newer auto from a newer accord, J32 and supercharger would be A LOT easier to do.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Talk to Paul(NVA-AV6) on V6P, he will be able to tell you if that kind of swap is doable.

cjsaccord

Reaction score
I remember someone that did a tranny swap out of a 7th gen accord but from my understanding it was a lot of work and almost cost as much as a 6 speed swap if not more.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I'd talk to Wheeelman or Paul.

With an 05-08 RL you should be able to bolt the motor right on (you want new mounts), tranny mounts I'm not sure about. Not subframe modification though, I don't think.

You need to consider a budget though, these swaps are never cheap.

Last edited:

jayycobb

Reaction score
Thank you all for the quick replies. I have noticed a surge of 2010+ TLs in the salvage yards recently, even though they are AWD, cant you just leave the driveshaft off and run it FWD? I understand that 2007+ TLs run off CAN bus systems etc... so that might not be possible unless I can just utilize the proper modules to get things in line and running properly. I contacted Paul and James, so hopefully we can get more input on this. Thx again!

bRaZEn_407

Reaction score
You do understand the the J35A8 is Drive-by-wire right? 6th gens don't have electronic throttles. So in conjuction with the engine, you will need the ECU, Harness, and acceleration pedal from the RL. If your planning on buying a salvage RL, might not b a big deal to get the parts but good luck with the wiring....

SykVSyx

Reaction score
OP, probably not worth the headache/funds to do that kind of swap.

Take what you can from the RL(there are some good engine/brake parts), that you can use for a swap.

Also, sent you a pm.

Back