Terrible Gas mileage?

kolayxdoh

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I got my 01 accord passed down to me from my sister to find the gas mileage to be terrible
Filled the car to full and calculated that a full tank only lasts me 234.5 miles, which means if the tank is 17.1 gallons, I get 13.71 mpg city?

I just find it too hard to believe that an accord gets 13.71 mpg.. even though it is a v6?
Is something wrong with the car? I gave it a seafoam treatment but it seems to have done nothing

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
Yea, somethings off. I get around 24-26 city easy on my V6.

To give you an estimate, I get about 360-390 miles a tank with highway/city. Mostly highway, I have gotten 450. And my engine is stock, except for a CAI, which doesn't do anything for mileage.

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
Are you sure you're calculating the mileage correctly? Yes that is terrible, but you can be off by a few. Here's how to correctly calculate your mileage using math.

Make sure either trip A/B is 000.00
Fill the tank to the top until it clicks "ONCE".
Drive until half tank.
Fill it again until it clicks once.
Divide the miles you have driven over how much gallon you used to fill up.

Ex. I use to drive 260 miles until I was 1/4 from empty. Fill her up to the top, got 12.1XX usually. That means 260/12.1 = 21.4876.....MPG

Our cars are notorious for getting the 200 miles 1/2 tank, then only getting 100 miles for the other half, happened to me all the time with driving the same route everyday.

Seafoam doesn't do crap for the car. If you really want to increase the MPG, it's time for a tune-up.

New oil, new oil filter, clean IACV, new intake filter, and new spark plugs.

Also is your car throwing any CEL? Might explain alot of your is is misfiring or so.

Last edited:

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
Are you sure you're calculating the mileage correctly? Yes that is terrible, but you can be off by a few. Here's how to correctly calculate your mileage using math.

Make sure either trip A/B is 000.00
Fill the tank to the top until it clicks "ONCE".
Drive until half tank.
Fill it again until it clicks once.

Why until it clicks once? That doesn't matter. What does matter is this part of your example...

Divide the miles you have driven over how much gallon you used to fill up.

Ex. I use to drive 260 miles until I was 1/4 from empty. Fill her up to the top, got 12.1XX usually. That means 260/12.1 = 21.4876.....MPG

Like you said here, MPGs = miles driven / gallons used.

Our cars are notorious for getting the 200 miles 1/2 gallon, then only getting 100 miles for the other half, happened to me all the time with driving the same route everyday.

Also truth.

Seafoam doesn't do crap for the car. If you really want to increase the MPG, it's time for a tune-up.

New oil, new oil filter, clean IACV, new intake filter, and new spark plugs.

Also is your car throwing any CEL? Might explain alot of your is is misfiring or so.

@ OP, this is where you're at.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Another interesting aspect is that my car uses the 1st and 3rd quarters of the tank more slowly than the 2nd and 4th quarters. Meaning the needle drops faster at ¾ tank, slows at half then drops faster at ¼.

Our cars are notorious for getting the 200 miles 1/2 gallon, then only getting 100 miles for the other half, happened to me all the time with driving the same route everyday.

Did you mean to say 200 miles for the first half of the tank, then 100 miles for the last half?

Why until it clicks once? That doesn't matter. What does matter is this part of your example...

He is saying don’t top off or over fill.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I don't really care about MPGeez much...but that would be pretty fantastic lol.

phi1542

Reaction score
Yea, somethings off. I get around 24-26 city easy on my V6.

To give you an estimate, I get about 360-390 miles a tank with highway/city. Mostly highway, I have gotten 450. And my engine is stock, except for a CAI, which doesn't do anything for mileage.

woah how do you get 24-26 mpg on your v6 in the city? i only i get around 20mpg but i have an exhaust and sri but idk if that affects anything

Back