Electrical Probems

G'sAccord01

Reaction score
:think:
I've been having problems with my car for awhile now
Just so you guys know it's a 99 EX 4dr J36 6spd
Battery relocated to the trunk running 0 gauge wire
Before the problem was that my battery would die over night {not completely die but never had enough to start the car). So some things I did was place a fuse box/splitter in my center console so 0 gauge from the batter goes in and two 2 gauge wires go out, 1 goes into the fuse box the other to the starter.
In the fuse box/splitter there are two fuses one for each 2 gauge wire. The one for the starter is a 250amp and the one for the fuse box is 100amp (Didn't have another 100amp fuse)
Changed all my grounds so they are 0 gauge wire (battery to ground, motor to ground and transmission to ground)
Problem was still happening but left it like that for a few months
Last week I changed the battery from a opti red top to a duralast. Then a few days later my Alternator gave out on me so I purchased an 04 odyssey alternator. Which caused the 100amp fuse to blow. replaced it with a 120amp fuse. My belt broke since the alternator wasn't completely straight, replaced that. Now I turn on the car and all my lights flicker I have a voltage meter in the pod by my cluster and I connected it between the starter and the fuse box/splitter and I see the voltage keeps jumping from 11,13, and 14. This is a new problem along with after I replaced the belt I drove it around the block when I stopped at a red light it died and required a boost.

At this point I don't know what else to try, in a few mins I will remove the fuse box/splitter and connect the 3 wires to see what happens. Anyone have any ideas?

Could it be the fuses box/Splitter I'm using?
Maybe the battery is bad?
Maybe the alternator is bad?
Is there anything else?

FYI I had someone with a RL give me a boost and the second we connected it the lights stopped flickering, we disconnect it and it started again.

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
Try and ground to the frame your altinator,starter, anything u can(temporary), 3 may not be enough, to see if anything changes

danmccormick87

Reaction score
Get the alternator tested. Could have a bad diode inside. Do you have an amplifier in your car? If you do, it could be drawing more power since you've gave it a 'bigger straw' so suck juice through.

2002CG3coupe

Reaction score
Look up electric parasitic from Eric the car guy I had the same issue it help to resolve my problem might do the same for you.

G'sAccord01

Reaction score
I have a stock radio no amps. I plan on going to auto zone to see if they can test the alternator and battery. I'll try grounding the alt although I've never heard of doing that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

kn0x47

Reaction score
how well is your battery grounded to the frame? did you grind off the paint and give it enough surface area?

G'sAccord01

Reaction score
how well is your battery grounded to the frame? did you grind off the paint and give it enough surface area?

I did remove some of the paint To me it is grounded enough. Tried grounding the Alternator but it didn't help

lashlee

Reaction score
Grounding the alternator won't help since it's already grounded by the case where it is bolted on the car. From what your original post stated I would think that the voltage regulator inside the alternator is suspect. I don't know how new that Odyssey alternator is but I'm sure that it will be the cause of the issue once you get it checked. The only other thing to check is if all of your connection points are tight, power and ground.

G'sAccord01

Reaction score
Just so you guys know I took it to an auto electrician on Thursday and he swapped my wires that I had leading from the starter to the battery and ran one directly from the starter to the fuse box and another one from the Alternator to the fuse box. Changed the alternator to one directly from Honda he said they are more expensive but always better then ones coming from autozone/pepboys etc. He also said the wires I was using weren't any good (Raptor 0 gauge wiring kit) so he ran wires that come for BMW. He said the wires I was using are only good for audio and sometimes even then they are bad quality. I've had the car since Saturday morning and so far all my electrical problems have been resolve :) Now I have to move onto this idle issue and clutch pressure :sad:

Back