What is cheap way to make your car as quiet as much as possible?

CyrusSaurusRex

Reaction score
I was also interested in having the cabin of the car retain it's silence more in our cars. Sort of like how the newer cars have more padding/insulation and seals. As the members posting before me have stated, the form of Dynamat at the supply stores is very good. That involves removing the door skins and plastic seal underneath and the carpeting.

It all depends on how involved you would like to get with the car. The quickest, way to do it definitely would be to check all seals that are associated with the cabin. As for spray foam it WOULD be the most insulating and noise deleting, but it would also add a lot of stress to your driving experience due to it's dangers.

Not much else comes to mind at the moment, but if you're willing, try giving the Dynamat/ Frost King a shot.

DizzyP

Reaction score
If you got bass in your trunk then see if the rear license plate frame is rattling. Just gotta press it towards the trunk while you bumping your jam, if the rattling stops then head out to the auto parts store and pick up two screws for the bottom of the license plate frame. Unless you prefer the distorted beats ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danmccormick87

Reaction score
Follow-Up on the Frost King... Use an adhesive spray and a heat gun when applying and also clean areas with degreaser like you would be painting. First go round, I didn't do those things and when it got warm, it started to fall down. Now, as far as the Peel N Seal goes, that stuff is holding strong and working like a charm :beer:

G'sAccord01

Reaction score
Is frost king really a good alternative to dynamat?? I've always wanted to dynamat my entire car to reduce road noise etc. and also keep the sound within the car. Since this is originally purposed for heating/cooling does this mean in summer the car would be extra hot? Having leather in the summer sucks as it is would hate further trapping that heat in the car

ChrisPuh_Gone

Reaction score
Follow-Up on the Frost King... Use an adhesive spray and a heat gun when applying and also clean areas with degreaser like you would be painting. First go round, I didn't do those things and when it got warm, it started to fall down. Now, as far as the Peel N Seal goes, that stuff is holding strong and working like a charm :beer:
Thanks Dan! will definitely keep this in mind when I do this on my 6th gen.
Is frost king really a good alternative to dynamat?? I've always wanted to dynamat my entire car to reduce road noise etc. and also keep the sound within the car. Since this is originally purposed for heating/cooling does this mean in summer the car would be extra hot? Having leather in the summer sucks as it is would hate further trapping that heat in the car
I used 2 rolls of it in my trunk on my 5th gen, the difference it made in terms of muffling/silencing the rattle was apparent, but I'm not sure how it compares to actual dynamat (more heavy and expensive) because I've never ridden in a dynamatted car. The temperature didn't change at all though; I applied it in spring and went through all 4 seasons again before parting the car out. But with that said, I didn't spend much time in the trunk :p

danmccormick87

Reaction score
No problem, you're welcome! The Frost King is NOT a thermal barrier, it's designed to be used on HVAC ducts to help quiet the noise of the air flowing and the keep the metal creaking down. Peel and Seal works similar to Dynamat, in terms of stiffening the metal and reflecting some acoustic properties. The best of both worlds, for half the cost. You can place Peel and Seal down, then do Frost King over it, just make sure you properly prepare all surfaces, and also, I don't recommend placing Peel and Seal on the headliner, due to the extreme heat temps and trying to keep it stuck. Also, the smell of the tar was in the car for like two days, and since then, has aired out and is no longer noticeable.

Back