Cel p1259

Newfoundlander

Reaction score
Okay guys this is my second thread on this subject. Hopefully more feedback this time. My car is still throwing the CEL for code P1259 (vtec malfunction). I put 10w-30 in the engine to thicken up the oil and get the pressure up. Since I did this I saw no change in behavior. This tells me that the oil pressure is there but the engine still isn't engaging vtec. This points me in the direction of electrical issues. Anyone after experiencing an issue like this? I need input ASAP. My accord is "gutless" and doesn't rev past 4,000 rpm. I need a repair procedure so I can actually diagnose this. Thanks.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Check resistance of vtec solenoid and wires back to ecm. Also make sure it works (engine off)

justin_l_

Reaction score
I have this same issue, actually ordered an ecu tonight. Everything tested good. Let me know if you need a hand.

james'99

Reaction score
Worked on a B18 Integra GSR with this issue the other day. Pulled the VTEC solenoid and removed the oil pressure switch from the solenoid. When I sprayed brake cleaner inside the switch, a lot of carbon buildup in the switch is what I suspect to have been the problem. After cleaning, the issue was fully resolved.

rebornS14

Reaction score
Worked on a B18 Integra GSR with this issue the other day. Pulled the VTEC solenoid and removed the oil pressure switch from the solenoid. When I sprayed brake cleaner inside the switch, a lot of carbon buildup in the switch is what I suspect to have been the problem. After cleaning, the issue was fully resolved.

that worked for me as well.
99 Accord LX 4cyl
cleaned out with brake cleaner and slapped it back on with a new gasket which had like a filter/screen on it and i havent had a problem since.

Back