newbie with DIY questions.. a lot of them..

danmccormick87

Reaction score
1) If you buy aftermarket lowering springs, do they 'bolt on' to the factory struts or is there mod/fab work needed? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007L8...068858&sr=8-6#

They will bolt up with the factory struts, but some people have good luck and they last and others have bad luck and they blow, just depends on who you ask.

2) If I bought these lights, could I used them with hid bulbs and have the same effect as the mh1 retro? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004W4...I1ZI9NM20RXJB3

I have similar headlights on mine, to answer a few of your questions, there is no difference between halogen and HID projectors, a projector is a projector. The difference is the ballast. You can add a HID/LED/Halogen to any projector, with a variation of different light output. IE The 1st generation Hyundai Tiburons came with OE projector headlights that used halogen bulbs, and many people convert the bulb over to HID.

3) Does anyone have a list of all the bulbs needed and how many of each, for a l.e.d. dash/climate control/ everything conversion? I.e. How many t 10, t 5, neowedge, etc...

CLICKY HERE

4) Has anyone added a map light? Mine doesn't have one factory.

Don't mess with adding a map light, just install LED strips similar to what I did. Wire it to your door lights to light up when you open your door and also have it wired with a switch to turn on and off as you see fit :beer:

5) Can someone post a picture or link to the factory oil dipstick? Sounds nuts, but if the dipstick I have is stock, I'm running like 3 quarts high. So...

Varnell answered your question above :beer:

Zynemisis

Reaction score
ok. So no-go on the lowering springs.

That's good on the headlights. That'll prob be my first project.

I would like the map for its storage and the added light without flooding the whole car. But I will say the led strip are pretty nice. I may put them on the sides instead of the down the middle.

My dip looks identical to that. I might just go ahead and change the oil and see if it is over filled. But it's running fine, so idk. We will just have to see.

And for the led swap... I plan on doing the whole thing. Like indicator bulbs, turn signals, and it all. I've done the basic illumination on my wife's 5th gen. I like the color, but to keep from 'blinding' yourself, you have to turn it all the way down. So all the indicator lights fade out. I'm wanting to have all the lights the same intensity. I'm prob just going to have to tackle it in a two weekend part. Take it all apart and figure out how much of each I need and take another weekend to do the actually swap.

Thanks all for the info so far. It's all muchly appreciated.

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
IMO any struts w/ lowering springs are bad. Mine had oem struts (still good!) @ 130k, then lowered (h&r race) and dead ~200k, new struts dead at 230k

Prefer coilovers, strut length is designed for the system.

danmccormick87

Reaction score
ok. So no-go on the lowering springs.

That's good on the headlights. That'll prob be my first project.

I would like the map for its storage and the added light without flooding the whole car. But I will say the led strip are pretty nice. I may put them on the sides instead of the down the middle.

My dip looks identical to that. I might just go ahead and change the oil and see if it is over filled. But it's running fine, so idk. We will just have to see.

And for the led swap... I plan on doing the whole thing. Like indicator bulbs, turn signals, and it all. I've done the basic illumination on my wife's 5th gen. I like the color, but to keep from 'blinding' yourself, you have to turn it all the way down. So all the indicator lights fade out. I'm wanting to have all the lights the same intensity. I'm prob just going to have to tackle it in a two weekend part. Take it all apart and figure out how much of each I need and take another weekend to do the actually swap.

Thanks all for the info so far. It's all muchly appreciated.

You know, I've noticed that a lot of automotive manufacturers are too cheap to go cheap and leave the wiring and bolt locations out from the lower end models. IE, I had a STX 05 Ford F150, all manual everything, and after a trip to the junkyard, I was able to swap all electric parts in with no wiring anything on my end. Moral of the story, pull your headliner out to see if you have the wiring already ran and the screw holes for the map light already up there. Even if you don't have the wiring, you may have the screw holes, and if you do, go to a junkyard and swap headliners with one with a map light :beer: Hopefully that'll help you out some.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
1) If you buy aftermarket lowering springs, do they 'bolt on' to the factory struts or is there mod/fab work needed? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007L8...068858&sr=8-6#

They will bolt up with the factory struts, but some people have good luck and they last and others have bad luck and they blow, just depends on who you ask.

2) If I bought these lights, could I used them with hid bulbs and have the same effect as the mh1 retro? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004W4...I1ZI9NM20RXJB3

I have similar headlights on mine, to answer a few of your questions, there is no difference between halogen and HID projectors, a projector is a projector. The difference is the ballast. You can add a HID/LED/Halogen to any projector, with a variation of different light output. IE The 1st generation Hyundai Tiburons came with OE projector headlights that used halogen bulbs, and many people convert the bulb over to HID.

3) Does anyone have a list of all the bulbs needed and how many of each, for a l.e.d. dash/climate control/ everything conversion? I.e. How many t 10, t 5, neowedge, etc...

CLICKY HERE

4) Has anyone added a map light? Mine doesn't have one factory.

Don't mess with adding a map light, just install LED strips similar to what I did. Wire it to your door lights to light up when you open your door and also have it wired with a switch to turn on and off as you see fit :beer:

5) Can someone post a picture or link to the factory oil dipstick? Sounds nuts, but if the dipstick I have is stock, I'm running like 3 quarts high. So...

Varnell answered your question above :beer:

Your answer for number two is wrong. Halogen projectors are designed to focus more light because halogen bulbs do not produce as much light as HID setups do. HID Projectors are designed with spreading light and making the cutoff wider as well as differing focal points due to the fact that one source of light puts out more than the other. Also, because halogen projectors do not put out that much light, the projector bowl isn't as refined and could produce more glare with HID bulbs installed. So the difference is mainly in the projector bowl itself. One spreads light, the other focuses it. You put an HID bulb in a focused projector and you'll get hotspots :)

8013952905_large.jpg

See the difference ? Shitty ain't it. Don't go cheap. Do it right the first time.

Last edited:

Zynemisis

Reaction score
What does it look like using the halogen bulbs?
I'm still undecided on whether to get new headlights or do the mh1.

I'll take a look above the liner and see what I can find out. I've found a few I'm interested in. One is from a suv. It's a 'thinner' style. It's pretty long so I'll prob remove the dome and have it stretch from front to middle. It has plenty of storage and I'll be able to use the wiring from the dome. I'm not 100% sure I'll go that route, but it's an option.

danmccormick87

Reaction score
I might be wrong, I might not, who knows :rofl: But, I do know this! Those headlights the OP posted are designed for HID, so they will have the HID projectors in them, as the sellar is being cheapo and not offering HIDs with them :beer: But thanks for the lesson, I didn't know that, and I even learned something (And glad I didn't add HID to my stock Tiburon lights :D)

Chris Vu

Reaction score
I might be wrong, I might not, who knows :rofl: But, I do know this! Those headlights the OP posted are designed for HID, so they will have the HID projectors in them, as the sellar is being cheapo and not offering HIDs with them :beer: But thanks for the lesson, I didn't know that, and I even learned something (And glad I didn't add HID to my stock Tiburon lights :D)

Lol. You're definitly wrong. Also, you're wrong again, Dan!

Spyder Auto Honda Accord Black Halogen Projector Headlight

Besides, even IF they were HID projectors, I still wouldn't touch them. They're probably really really horrible.

Zynemesis, this is what halogen projectors look like with halogen bulbs in them ..

halogen_cutoff.jpg

Last edited:

Zynemisis

Reaction score
So I could have a similar cut off to a hid set up but pay way less for the bulbs. Sounds good enough for me. The headlights on it now are beyond repair, so I guess it's time to set back a little for new ones. My car is silver, so any suggestions?

Back