Are 2001-2002 Accords considered dangerous to own?

Aztec

Reaction score
All honda accords from 2001-2007 are affected with faulty Takata airbags, just recently another driver was killed by the airbags exploding shrapnel in the cabin after a low speed impact.

I own a 99" so I'm safe but how would someone with an 01 and up know there car is affected?

WizadOfOz

Reaction score
And if you want to check your VIN.

http://www.honda.com/recalls

"VIN :
YEAR : 2005 MAKE : Honda MODEL : Accord Sedan
NUMBER OF OPEN RECALLS: 8 LAST UPDATED: Jan 28, 2015

NHTSA RECALL NUMBER: 14V-700
MFR CAMPAIGN ID: JL8
RECALL DATE: 11/04/2014
RECALL STATUS: 17 Character VIN Required
SUMMARY:
AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC. (HONDA) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2003-2005 HONDA ACCORD VEHICLES. IN CERTAIN VEHICLES THAT WERE ORIGINALLY SOLD IN, OR EVER REGISTERED IN GEOGRAPHIC LOCATIONS WITH A HIGH ABSOLUTE HUMIDITY, INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING: ALABAMA, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, HAWAII, LOUISIANA, MISSISSIPPI, SOUTH CAROLINA, TEXAS, PUERTO RICO, U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS, SAIPAN, GUAM, AND AMERICAN SAMOA; THE PASSENGER'S (FRONTAL) AIRBAG INFLATOR COULD EXHIBIT A SYMPTOM OF PRODUCING EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURE. IF AN AFFECTED AIRBAG DEPLOYS, THE INCREASED INTERNAL PRESSURE MAY CAUSE THE INFLATOR TO RUPTURE.
SAFETY RISK:
IN THE EVENT OF AN INFLATOR RUPTURE, METAL FRAGMENTS COULD BE PROPELLED UPWARD TOWARD THE WINDSHIELD, OR DOWNWARD TOWARD THE FRONT PASSENGER'S FOOT WELL, POTENTIALLY CAUSING INJURY TO A VEHICLE OCCUPANT. THE CAUSE OF THE POTENTIAL FOR INFLATOR RUPTURE AND THE APPARENT LINK TO A HIGH ABSOLUTE HUMIDITY CONTINUES TO BE UNDER INVESTIGATION.
REMEDY:
HONDA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE PASSENGER AIRBAG INFLATOR, FREE OF CHARGE. IF A REPLACEMENT PART IS NOT AVAILABLE DEALERS WILL WORK WITH OWNERS TO ACCOMMODATE OWNER NEEDS. NOTIFICATION TO CUSTOMERS ABOUT THIS RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON NOVEMBER 24, 2014. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AUTOMOBILE CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 888-234-2138 OPTION 2. HONDA'S CAMPAIGN NUMBER FOR THIS RECALL IS JL8.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/07/gruesome-takata-airbag-recall-victim-lawsuit/

Saw this story yesterday, then the checked Honda Owners Link site to see what other details I could find, here is the latest bulletin I found:

NHTSA RECALL NUMBER: 14V-351
MFR CAMPAIGN ID: JJ5
RECALL DATE: 06/19/2014

SUMMARY:
AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC. (HONDA) IS CONDUCTING A RECALL FOR CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2001-2007 ACCORD (4-CYLINDER), 2001-2002 ACCORD (V6), 2001-2005 CIVIC, 2002-2006 CR-V, 2003-2011 ELEMENT, 2002-2004 ODYSSEY, 2003-2007 PILOT, AND 2006 RIDGELINE VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH TAKATA-BRAND AIR BAG INFLATORS. UPON DEPLOYMENT OF THE DRIVER SIDE FRONTAL AIR BAG, EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURE MAY CAUSE THE INFLATOR TO RUPTURE.

SAFETY RISK:
THE DEFECT IN THIS VEHICLE COULD KILL OR INJURE YOU OR OTHER PEOPLE IN YOUR VEHICLE. SPECIFICALLY, IN SOME VEHICLES, THE DRIVER'S FRONT AIRBAG INFLATOR COULD PRODUCE EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURE UPON DEPLOYMENT. IF AN AFFECTED AIRBAG DEPLOYS, THE INCREASED INTERNAL PRESSURE MAY CAUSE THE INFLATOR TO RUPTURE (BREAK APART) AND DEPLOY ABNORMALLY. IN THE EVENT OF AN INFLATOR RUPTURE, METAL FRAGMENTS COULD PASS THROUGH THE AIRBAG CUSHION MATERIAL POSSIBLY CAUSING SERIOUS INJURY OR FATALITY TO YOU OR OTHERS IN THE VEHICLE. PAST RUPTURES LIKE THIS HAVE KILLED AND INJURED VEHICLE DRIVERS.

REMEDY:
HONDA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR, FREE OF CHARGE. IF A REPLACEMENT PART IS NOT AVAILABLE DEALERS WILL WORK WITH OWNERS TO ACCOMMODATE OWNER NEED. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA'S AUTOMOBILE CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 1-888-234-2138. HONDA'S CAMPAIGN NUMBER FOR THIS RECALL IS JJ5.

I've talked to two people today that own Odysseys that had no idea...scary.

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
The biggest issue with problems like this is there is absolutely no way cars of our age will all make it back to Honda for the recall to be serviced. For the used cars not purchased from Honda dealers and private parties, there is no way they can possibly intend to get a hold of all those cars for airbag replacement because obviously, we aren't getting recall letters if we didn't originally purchase the vehicle. That's what makes this such a big issue.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Very true. The article touches on that...

Currently, federal law does not require car dealers to tell prospective buyers about open recalls on used cars or whether defects have been repaired. Legislation introduced by Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) and Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) wouldn't require that directly of dealerships, but it would mandate that car owners be notified of recalls when they apply for registration and at the time of registration renewal.

Imo every used car lot should be required by law to know what they're selling, proactively obtain information on recalls on every car on their lot, and make that information available for the seller at purchase. Or they should at least have to report every car bought to the NHTSA and the buyer's information so they can be notified about recalls. Or like the article says, somehow linking it into the BMV. Any of these would take putting some systems in place, but I don't really see how it couldn't be viewed as positive change.

Or if you join Honda Owners Link, they should make it so you can subscribe to the recall notifications, so when a recall came about you would be emailed/texted/called about it.

Last edited:

whitederic

Reaction score
I took mine to a dealer and told him I'm not paying the $95 service fee because I was positive it was the airbag recall or seatbelt (as we know are covered for life). Needless to say I got both replaced for no charge. I wouldn't have known about it unless my friend that works for Honda told me

Back