Cosmetic:
Fog lights
Gunmetal Password JDM bumper quick release
Carbon fiber hood
Carbon fiber cooling plate
Mini h1 retrofit with 3k bulbs
20% window tint all around
Ek side markers

Picked this '96 civic hatch for 500 bucks a couple days ago. The kid I bought it from told me it was a blown motor from over heating and was seized. But he obviously doesn't know what he was talking about because once I got it home I checked it out and just cleaned the plugs and installed new wires and it fired up then died.
Repeated the process and it turned out he ran it out of gas.
Added a few gallons of gas and now it turns on every time, just runs a little rough. So I'll probably just rebuild the motor over the next few months.

The car currently has
New act clutch
New fidanza 9lb flywheel
New extended studs
New open ended extended lug nuts
New DC header
New cat
TCS c-pillar bar

Later today I'm picking up some buddy club coilovers for it from my friend for 200 bucks.

Future plans for the car are to upgrade the front calipers to dual piston legend calipers, rear disk swap, 16'' rpf1's and some carbon fiber part throughout the car. Maybe a 99-00 front end swap as well.

Last edited:

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
Re: New project

Wow, seems like you got a great deal on a decently working hatch. What engine is in there right now? Can't wait to see the pictures

Varnell

Reaction score

I wonder why people pour so much money into a car yet can't do a little research. If my car stopped running I'd try everything I could think of, find on the internet, or get our of mechanics to fix it.

Great news for you, though. Any pics?

SSMNVCG3

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score

It has a d16y5 in it.
And I have pictures but my phone never lets me paste the img code so I'll have to post them when I get home so I can use my computer.

SSMNVCG3

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score

pictures added, drove the car today and it runs and pulls great, just idles like **** and dies when you come to a stop.

james'99

Reaction score

Congrats buddy! I wish I had the time for a project like this. Just to have something to do on the side is always nice.

Sounds like an IAC problem to me. Do you have a CEL?

Sino

Reaction score

Nice, my brother got his civic deal by buying one with an apparently blown engine. Taking it apart he found a bit of plastic broken off the airbox wedged in a valve.

xci.ed6

Reaction score

hahaha

price is effected by intelligence...

but really, the car runs, so does it feel normal? Like 100hp? Or like a mower, not enough power to even go 25mph?

I bet it runs normal, without insane amounts of exhaust smoke, so that should probably be fine. Probably something about the control system.

1549392_10100624588562029_7625440376653184186_n.jpg

I made this :p D15B2 (now I'm married, so they're separated by a block, SOHC V6 :p )

So don't waste money on a swap, you can easily pull 180whp out of a D-series, for less $ than a swap. It's not Honda-reliable, but it's better than a Chevy. The best part is cheap engines are available from other people who swap them. They're almost disposable cheap!

SSMNVCG3

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score

Once you get it going it runs great, feels like a really healthy motor except for when you come to a stop. And it looks like a seal might be out since it leaks a lot of oil but thats an easy fix.

It does have a cel but im not sure what its for yet, i know the evap system for sure since they took that out.

xci.ed6

Reaction score

leaks would be other probs, go ahead and fix them to.

I'd start with cleaning the IACV, and get check engine light codes.

EVAP can usually be faked to make it look like it works, if you can't replace it.

Back