goop in intake

oakshaun

Reaction score
has anyone else experienced this tar like substance in the intake manifold?
its clean to my throttle plate and it almost looks exactly like roofing tar behind the throttle plate? i'm debating taking it off and cleaning it, i'm also considering polishing the inside of my manifold and potentially my head smooth
also, i've discovered you can get a cold air intake with filter from amazon for $50 and a header that LOOKS all smooth and such for $75 anybody tried those?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Yea it builds up around the throttle plate around the TB. Just spray some carb cleaner, open the valve, and clean it out. It shouldn't be too thick though.

akoutmos

Reaction score
A catch can helps keep the intake track clean. The stock crankcase ventilation system lets quite a bit of oil through.

Sino

Reaction score
You should have seen the sludge throughout my intake from years of oil consumption.

james'99

Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately the breather hose leads oil right into the intake. I plan on installing a catch can and a filter on the end of that to circumvent the issue but I find my oil consumption greatly decreased after running a bit of seafoam in my oil right before changing it. Less than half a quart in 5k miles from around a quart every 2k!

oakshaun

Reaction score
any forums or videos about this "catch can" and what are the consequences of disconnecting any and everything that can throw oil back into my intake?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
There is a DIY or two on making your own catch can, check the master DIY list or try searching it up.

Back