Instrument Cluster Harness Pins

AggieMan

Reaction score
I'm starting on a project to tap into the instrument cluster data via an Arduino board. What I want to do is splice into the 3 harness wires that attach to the instrument cluster and hook those inputs into an Arduino board. I should theoretically then be able to pull data from the Arduino board and build my own LCD instrument cluster.

My question is, is there a resource that tells me what each wire/pin on the 3 harnesses maps to in the instrument cluster? I found the following page from a supposed 98-99 service manual, but my car is an 02 Accord. Not sure if the information is still the same... If anyone has the 00-02 electrical service manual (specifically with this information), that'd be awesome!

Also, does anyone know if the electrical systems in our cars are analog or digital? Should I be listening for a digital signal from each spliced wire or an analog signal (0V - 5V?)?

x8TAKne.jpg

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Very cool project, hope to see updates. Did you check the service manual sticky posted in the Tech section?

guytv

Reaction score
Are you perhaps in college? just asking because I used a board similar to that one. May I ask what are you looking to achieve with the project (to build a full on LCD instrument cluster)? It seems very interesting.:waytogo:

Last edited:

AggieMan

Reaction score
Very cool project, hope to see updates. Did you check the service manual sticky posted in the Tech section?

Definitely will be posting updates! I did check that sticky but wasn't able to find anything conclusive to just the pins on the harnesses. Seemed to be more of broken information here and there.

Are you perhaps in college? just asking because I used a board similar to that one. May I ask what are you looking to achieve with the project (to build a full on LCD instrument cluster)? It seems very interesting.

I actually just graduated from college yesterday. Basically, I want to build something analogous to Audi's new Virtual c-o-c-k-pit (lol forums censoring the word). I'm a Computer Science grad, so I have the technical know-how to code the interface and make it work. Just needed some input on how to actually hook it up to the car itself.

I've already placed two tablets in my car which function wonderfully. Check out my thread here: http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51911

Last edited:

twofast4u

Reaction score
I dont know if the haynes manual will have it, but i can check for you tonight hopefully if i get home at a decent hour.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Subscription to Alldatadiy is cheap for what a great resource it is. I'd say join up and go to town.

Pardie

Reaction score
Just curious, how much money do you think this will cost you to make? And what type of display will you be using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guytv

Reaction score
I actually just graduated from college yesterday. Basically, I want to build something analogous to Audi's new Virtual c-o-c-k-pit (lol forums censoring the word). I'm a Computer Science grad, so I have the technical know-how to code the interface and make it work. Just needed some input on how to actually hook it up to the car itself.

I've already placed two tablets in my car which function wonderfully. Check out my thread here: http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51911

That's cool. Congrats on graduating!:waytogo: What school did you go to btw if you don't mind sharing?

AggieMan

Reaction score
I dont know if the haynes manual will have it, but i can check for you tonight hopefully if i get home at a decent hour.

Thanks, that would be a big help!

Subscription to Alldatadiy is cheap for what a great resource it is. I'd say join up and go to town.

Hmmm, I'll definitely look into that if I run out of other non-paid options.

Just curious, how much money do you think this will cost you to make? And what type of display will you be using?

Well, I'll actually be using a Nexus 7 tablet (which costs about $50 used). That tablet will be hooked up to an Arduino board (which costs about $30) and the rest is all just software programming. So money wise, it shouldn't cost more than $100 (generous estimate). Time wise, it'll definitely take atleast 20-30 hours of coding, especially since I'm very picky on graphics and little details here and there.

That's cool. Congrats on graduating!:waytogo: What school did you go to btw if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks! I went to University of California Davis.

Pardie

Reaction score
Let me know if you need any "testers" haha I would be very willing to help you out on this (cost). Also, just a word of caution that you may already be aware of, but when you do change the instrument cluster in any car, it can greatly decrease the resale value due to "actual mileage unknown" because in most cases it's impossible to swap an instrument cluster in that has he same miles on it, although with you programming your own, if you just show proper documentation then it might not matter. That is, if you do end up selling your car.

Back