Start, Sputter, Stall

matt10084

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a 1999 v6 coupe and so far, today, and one a couple days ago, I went to start my car, and it would start up, not even reach 800rpm, super rough idle for a solid second or 2, then just die.

It has happened after starting up just fine earlier and driving, then sitting for maybe 30 minutes to an hour and it would do this.
Sometimes it would start and idle some, but only maybe around 300rpm and be extremely rough. Thought it sounded like a misfire or something, but there's no check engine light and not any codes.

After starting it and trying to keep rpms up for a bit, the idle would go back to normal and level out just fine. Would it be fuel pump or pressure regulator maybe? The fuel pump has been replaced maybe a year ago though.
I also have a short video I could try uploading too if that helps.

Thanks for any help

EDIT: Let the car sit for a bit. It did it again. Fuel pump makes a strange-ish sound while priming, car "starts" and sputters out and dies. Had to rev up to keep it alive. Heavy fuel smell. Then it levels out and idles fine after a minute.

Here's video of it https://youtu.be/odFsHvi-0oM

Last edited:

604ACCORD

Reaction score
Have you popped the plugs out and had a look yet? Does it do it always or once and a while

Pop out pugs and inspect maybe even clean and re gap or replace
Inspect plug wires
Check distributor, open cap see inside clean contacts and check for moisture
Check fuel pressure
Check vacuum lines

matt10084

Reaction score
Let the car sit for a bit. It did it again. Fuel pump makes a strange-ish sound while priming, car "starts" and sputters out and dies. Had to rev up to keep it alive. Heavy fuel smell. Then it levels out and idles fine after a minute.

604ACCORD

Reaction score
Could be pump but if your smelling fuel u might not be burning it off so check spark related stuff, it's free at least.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing. Smelled fuel. It was unburned fuel because the spark plugs looked like they were dipped in Dino oil. The plug wires were shorting out. The previous Owner was a dummy and put a new dizzy cap and rotor with old wires and plugs.

I'm guessing tune up is in order.

matt10084

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing. Smelled fuel. It was unburned fuel because the spark plugs looked like they were dipped in Dino oil. The plug wires were shorting out. The previous Owner was a dummy and put a new dizzy cap and rotor with old wires and plugs.

I'm guessing tune up is in order.

The funny thing is, I could only smell the fuel from inside the car, not outside...

I decided I need to take it in in the morning anyways to just get it sorted out as quick as possible. Just can't afford to miss any classes or work..

White6GAV6

Reaction score
I used to have this problem. Didn't change anything and it just kind of stopped happening. I believe it is called "hot soak" or something like that. There is a couple threads on here that talk about it. Just search "hot soak" and you'll find them.

Back