98 with 3.0 question.

padlock

Reaction score
I picked up a 98 sedan with a 3.0 a few days ago. It runs great. The thing I have noticed is The car will just crank until I push on the gas pedal. After I push on the pedal it starts up.

Not sure where to start on this. No CEL at all.

Thanks for the help.

trillobite

Reaction score
I picked up a 98 sedan with a 3.0 a few days ago. It runs great. The thing I have noticed is The car will just crank until I push on the gas pedal. After I push on the pedal it starts up.

Thanks for the help.

Personally, I am still learning how these cars work, so take this with a grain of salt:

One thing that I do know, for some reason your fuel/air mix is not correct until you open the throttle up to lean out the fuel mixture, and the engine starts up. I am not sure exactly what is affecting this, as I initially thought it could be the throttle position sensor, but as you mentioned it runs great after the engine starts.

My only guess that I can come up with is the Idle Air Control valve is sticking, preventing enough air flow into the engine upon initial startup. Locate the IAC (idle air control valve), have someone inside crank the engine, and smack the IAC with a metal object (of course, don't smack it too hard). If the engine starts, then you know it's the IAC.

zikada

Reaction score

Thanks for the help.

I've had this happen on my 2002 v6 in two instances.

One time it was very hot outside and would not start until I pushed the gas and cranked at the same time. (Someone told me it could have been the main relay)

The other time is that car for some reason doesn't think it's in park. If I start the car in neutral then all is well.

That's just my experience with my 6th gen with those kind of symptoms.

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
About 99% sure its a main relay. Up under the steering column. There is a way to check too.

If you've driven the car and go inside a store for a bit and then come back out and its warmish outside, it'll do it. I grabbed a cold water bottle and held it next to it for a minute or so and it fired it right up, Saved me about twice before I replaced it

Back