Sudden No Start

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
Car suddenly doesn't start. I went to pick up my boy from my wife at her work. After getting back in the car, to leave, my car suddenly won't start. I don't hear the fuel pump prime, so I'm thinking it's the main relay. Thoughts?

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
Many times.

I had the car in Reverse, not Park.

Somehow I'm able to pull the key out of the ignition when I turn the ignition off. Is being able to pull the key out of the ignition, if it's not in Park after shutting down the car, normal?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I think there was a TSB or recall on this car about that a while back, but I could be mistaken. Anyway, no I don't think that is supposed to be possible.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
I've done the "check if your car has recalls" thing on Honda / Honda affiliated website, and my car shows up as "No recalls applicable" or whatever it's called.

If there's a TSB though, I'll look into it so that this doesn't happen to me again.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Yes there is a recall. And Honda will replace it as many times as it fails as they don’t install a new fixed part. Just a replacement original flawed part.

My dealership said they only replaced the recalled ignition switch once for all vehicles. My was apparently already done once so they wanted to charge me 350 dollars to replace the part.

But I went and called Honda and kept asking for a supervisor until I got a call back from the president of Honda USA.

I had her listen to every CS call I made and call me back. Every CS rep I talked to kept telling me they only replace a recalled part once. I didn’t like that answer.

So 2 months after the initial call the president called me and we had a talk. I explained that the reason of a recall is to fix a faulty part. And replacing the part with the same faulty part that will fail in the same manner is not the point of a recall. She agreed with me and told me that all of the CS reps will be retrained on how to handle these recalls.

Don’t let the stealership charge you to fix a recalled part as many all over the USA have done. That’s criminal. No one should ever have to pay to have a recall done.

Btw I replaced my own ignition switch and it failed again after 6 months. I said Fuk it and bypassed the ignition switch and installed a push button start below the dash. Works every time now.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
My problem with the ignition isn't so much with it not starting or not suddenly shutting off as I have known for years as the common problem with our platform. Rather, this problem where I'm able to remove the key when it's not in Park.

As outlined in the recall linked above, I guess I'm not an isolated incident.

When I purchased my car from the corner mom-n-pop car lot, I got a key only. I did not get a Honda key fob. I installed an aftermarket alarm system in order to allow me to have keyless entry available to me. It wasn't until years later that I realized that part of how that system was hooked up required it to be spliced into the ignition switch's wiring. Would that prohibit the ignition recall work from being done on Honda's dime?

Back