Car won't start occasionally

f23amark

Reaction score
Hello there I've been having issues with my 2000 Accord coupe F23a4 ULEV. About 3 weeks ago the car wouldn't start for 2 days. I ran the codes and the only thing that came up was the P0401 (EGR insufficient flow) I replaced this and it still wouldn't run. Let it sit for a day or two and I go out to start it and it starts although it was rough.

Fast forward to a couple days ago and it did the same thing. I tried the codes again and all that came up was EGR insufficient flow again but I believe thats because I didn't clean the other one out before replacing it. I'm pretty positive it's not the EGR at all. I can hear the fuel pump prime, I can smell gas too but when I checked the plugs they weren't wet. I also checked for spark and it's there, and the airbox is clean. Would it be the fuel pump main relay? Or possibly a CrankPS sensor? Wouldn't that come up as a code before the EGR issue? I only have a cheap code reader for now.

Also have a video of it starting up if that would be needed.

Any help is appreciated!! Thanks.

EDIT: Here's the video anyway.

Last edited:

GERM

Reaction score
mine does that occasionally. on mine it is the Main relay that I still haven't fixed/replaced. no the relay issue will not come on a regular ecu scanner. went you turn the car on (on, not start), check for the CEL light to come. If it doesn't then it is your main relay. when mine doesn't come on; i just hit the bottom below the steering wheel where the relay is and it will work.

ThatDesiKid

Reaction score
mine does that occasionally. on mine it is the Main relay that I still haven't fixed/replaced. no the relay issue will not come on a regular ecu scanner. went you turn the car on (on, not start), check for the CEL light to come. If it doesn't then it is your main relay. when mine doesn't come on; i just hit the bottom below the steering wheel where the relay is and it will work.
+1 on this.

You wanna get that main relay taken care of. My car had trouble starting and would cut the ignition while I was driving multiple times lol.

You can buy one for $60 or it's really easy to pull and solder the connection. (I've never soldered before but my relay works now [emoji51]). There's some YouTube tutorials on it.

I'd say it's like a 3/10 for difficulty just because getting the relay out of your car is the hardest part.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

f23amark

Reaction score
+1 on this.

You wanna get that main relay taken care of. My car had trouble starting and would cut the ignition while I was driving multiple times lol.

You can buy one for $60 or it's really easy to pull and solder the connection. (I've never soldered before but my relay works now [emoji51]). There's some YouTube tutorials on it.

I'd say it's like a 3/10 for difficulty just because getting the relay out of your car is the hardest part.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
I swapped it from my other 99 accord and it still didn't fix the problem. I think its the fuel the pump but now my main issue is getting the 8 (I think) rusted bolts that hold on out. :(

Back