Short shifter and ride comfort

cg4ever

Reaction score
Hello gang,

Ok i was thinking to add to my shop list the jtc short shifter but i feel this mod may not suits my ride comfort expectations. I'm not a spirited driver and when driving my cg i like to cruise and i obviously like ot have my arm sitting on the armrest and because the shifter is tall i like how my arm and hand land on the lever.

I was thinking if the lever was shorter then while having my arm on the armrest my hand wouldn't land nicely and flush on the lever and it may not be as comfortable like the taller lever.

Anyone got my point ? What are your thought and experience about this ?

At the end if idon't go the short shifter route i'd still like to change the shifter bushings because i really hate the feeling when i'm going from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th... Any recommandation on nice bushings to improve the shifter gear changes ?

Last edited:

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Resting your hand on the shifter is terrible driving and will wear out the synchronizers. Anyone who knows how to drive a manual transmission NEVER rests the hand on it. Two hands on the wheel and only touch the shifter when shifting.

If you think any different than you have no idea how to drive a manual or how it works.

cg4ever

Reaction score
I knew this one was coming, but was lazy to edit my message. I NEVER keep my hand on the shifter while a gear is engaged and actually i'm usually always the first person to recommend this to other people and my entourage. If i rest my hand while having my arm on the armrest is ONLY when i'm on neutral on lights.

Maybe i didn't get myself understood correctly with my message and sorry if so but english isn't my native language, just trying my best. What i wanted to explain is that when i engage a gear i still slightly have my arm on the armrest ( yea i have very long arms ). Ok i illustrated it so an image worth thousand words.

The top arm position is the original lever and we can see that the arm and wrist is aligned with the lever with comfy position. The bottom illustration is the short shifter and the arm need to be more inclined and you have somehow to broke your wrist to grap the lever and i feel it may not be a very pleasant position.

This may look a bumb thread for some but when you think spending 200$+ for a short shifter kit my guess is that you better be SURE you really want it. That the reason i prefer to open such thread and get a feedback from 6th gen short shifter owners.

fu2hyr.jpg

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Buy or make a shifter extension. Problem solved. You'll still have the short throws but retain the shifter height/location that you want.

It's 10x1.5mm thread -

cg4ever

Reaction score
Not sure i got it, if i use an shifter extension of a short shifter is like going back to normal lever height no ? How could the throw remain shorter ? Please elaborate.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The throw of the short shifter remains, you're just adjusting the height of it to suit your needs

cg4ever

Reaction score
Ok now that i'm looking again at the jtc illustration below it's exactly what you're suggesting. Saw the illustration before but didn't really pay attention to it :facepalm: Basically didn't know it was possible to have a short throw and keep the stock height or taller lever. Well...since there is no other alternative for our 6th gen i think i should add the jtc in my buy list :hmm:

For those having the ss ultimate kit can you share your though on the bushings and how it feels compared to stock bushings ?

15hcqie.jpg

Back