RIP Accord. My '99 Accord is dead.

SupraGuy

Reaction score
Seems like it's not that rare a story, but the auto transmission in my '99 Accord is completely and utterly done.

There are a few electrical gremlins to the car, but I've gotten used to them. Sometimes the climate control doesn't turn on, so I can't change the temperature or vent selection (Pull the control board from the clock opening, and it'll work.) The seat belt warning lamp and coolant temperature gauge sometimes stop working. A slap to the dash above the right side of the cluster usually solves that, but both show problems with cold solder joins in the electronics.

I guess I can't complain too much, I bought the car cheap, and it got me around for a while, but starting in the early summer of '17, it started not liking it much if I got back on the gas just before coming to a full stop, sometimes if I started to accelerate immediately after (Like coming to a red light, and the light turns green just before you actually stop.) It would shift to first needlessly hard. Interim solution, don't do that. let it shift to first before touching the gas pedal.

That fall, it got worse of course. Sometimes it simply would not go into first gear when cold, but it was the same as before once the transmission warmed up. So long as I took it REALLY easy for the first while after letting it cool, maybe 4-6 blocks, then it was okay.

Right around the first snow, it didn't matter what I did, 1, D3 or D4 was no good from a start, but it would start okay in 2. Once I got to about 20km/h or so, I could bump it into D4 and it would be okay. In many ways this was better than before, since it would work fine right from a start. I made it through the winter that way.

Mid-summer, 2018, for whatever reason, it got better for a while. It started working in D4 like normal, not even clunking from the start. (I discovered by accident when forgetting to shift back to 2 with the car stopped in traffic. I didnt' expect it to last, but I thought that at least it wasn't getting worse. Most of the time I still bumped it down to 2 at a stop anyway. (This pretty much pinpointed the accumulator, since the first gear clutch wasn't going to fix itself ever, for any reason.)

Fall, first gear stopped engaging again. Maybe it still would have sometimes, but it never did if I tried it.

Sometime in November, things took a turn for the worse. 2 wasn't working first thing in the morning, unless I let the car warm up in reverse for a few minutes. The colder the weather, the longer I had to let it warm up, but once it worked, it was okay.

Just before Christmas, it would need warming up like that after work, too. I took to starting my car 10 minutes before the end of the day, and letting it run in reverse with the e-brake yanked.

On Friday Feb 8, I only barely made it home. Every time I came to a stop, the transmission would refuse to move the car forwards without taking a stint in reverse against the brakes. I parked it behind the house, and haven't moved it since.

The car has a nice leather interior, heated seats, power sunroof, the A/C works well, it's actually a nice enough car, but without a working transmission it's not much use to me. I don't have an indoor space, so I can't do anything about it for the next 4 months or so, but I have a few options.

1. Sell for parts. Maybe the leather interior is worth something to someone, or other parts. The body is kind of rough, the passenger side fender and mirror aren't colour matched to the car, or for that matter, each other, and there are dents in both passenger side doors (I got it that way. Cheap, remember?) Since I need a car for work, I've already got a replacement DD.

2. Get it fixed. I suppose that I could make some calls and ask what it might cost. I'm guessing that transmission shops might be at least passingly familiar with the problems that seem to plague these things.

3. Find a replacement automatic transmission. I fear that a used transmission is a dice roll though. Hard to say that I won't get something not much better than what I had, but a rebuilt or new one is spendy. Also, it'll be at least 4 months before I can do anything, since I'd have to be working outside.

4. Look for a manual swap. I kind of like the idea, but I don't know that I have the room to do it myself, and I can't see it being something worth paying someone to do. This is probably not going to be what happens in any event.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Just the fact that this obituary is so long tells me you love the car and you must save it. Manual swap it is. :lawl:

Enne

Reaction score
I got my Selene for free; if her transmission ever dies (doesn't give me any trouble now and I've had it for 3 years) I will replace it without hesitation. Love it too much to let it go.

SupraGuy

Reaction score
Ha ha.

Funny, I've never liked Hondas much, and they have never seemed to like me. I can't think of a single Honda that I've done work on in 30 years that hasn't drawn blood. That said, I do get attached to my mechanical things.

Still, keeping the car would be a matter of practicality, rather than sentiment. They say that the cheapest car to own is the car you own, and I've always found that to be true.

This car wasn't fast (Definitely not without a working 1st gear!) and wasn't really a fun car, but I did like having the sunroof, A/C, and the heated leather seats were nice in winter. I took good care of the interior, even if the body was kind of beat up.

No, I think that the car has done it's duty. I will probably post up a local for sale ad listed as "Parts or repair" to see if I can get a few dollars more than the wrecker would give me. Who knows, when the weather warms up a little, it might even be driveable again for a while, even if it is in the "Shift to second when you stop" way.

pmus

Reaction score
Is it 2dr or 4dr? I m looking for some used body parts for my coupe.

T.$.Racing

Reaction score
Just the fact that this obituary is so long tells me you love the car and you must save it. Manual swap it is. :lawl:

Agreed!

If you have a buddy that is handy with a wrench you guys could get it done in one long day in a drive way.

qball

Reaction score
Just to chime in...
'99 V6 tranny went at 150K; same week the '99 4-cyl tranny became unworkable (it had been tolerable for a while) at 200K. I'd never removed an engine that wasn't a VW (Bus, Bug, Fastback) but I thought pulling this transmission seems feasable.. Plus I'd paid $7000 for the V6 and got only 80K miles so I was kind of sore. I had no idea these vehicles had tranny issues. By myself and with manuals and youtube I laid down some plywood in the gravel next to the house and got a rebuilt V6 tranny on ebay. Missed a sensor plug and got frustrated after all that work but then plugged it in (the one by the behind the distributor) and was pleased to have it all back in one piece. Used the old sensors/solenoids. She doesn't shift smoothly without a light accelerator, but drives fine. Car is fast as hell.
So now I've got the 4-cyl replaced with a JDM unit from Rockville that is said to have 50-60K on it. Actually that's wrong; this is a 2000 4-cyl that I picked up for $900 on Craigslist. But I did remove the one from my '99 4-cyl, and learned how to do it. Bit easier than the V6. Still need to get the wheels back on before checking it out. That's another thing that is weird to me, that the 6th gen rotors go bad, so I've got those and control arms to replace. I'm intrigued by the swap to a standard so maybe I'll do that sometime soon.
Anyway, I guess just to say that it's a lot of bolts and some nuts and quite a few wires but it's not too difficult.

Accordx

Reaction score
Just to chime in...
'99 V6 tranny went at 150K; same week the '99 4-cyl tranny became unworkable (it had been tolerable for a while) at 200K. I'd never removed an engine that wasn't a VW (Bus, Bug, Fastback) but I thought pulling this transmission seems feasable.. Plus I'd paid $7000 for the V6 and got only 80K miles so I was kind of sore. I had no idea these vehicles had tranny issues. By myself and with manuals and youtube I laid down some plywood in the gravel next to the house and got a rebuilt V6 tranny on ebay. Missed a sensor plug and got frustrated after all that work but then plugged it in (the one by the behind the distributor) and was pleased to have it all back in one piece. Used the old sensors/solenoids. She doesn't shift smoothly without a light accelerator, but drives fine. Car is fast as hell.
So now I've got the 4-cyl replaced with a JDM unit from Rockville that is said to have 50-60K on it. Actually that's wrong; this is a 2000 4-cyl that I picked up for $900 on Craigslist. But I did remove the one from my '99 4-cyl, and learned how to do it. Bit easier than the V6. Still need to get the wheels back on before checking it out. That's another thing that is weird to me, that the 6th gen rotors go bad, so I've got those and control arms to replace. I'm intrigued by the swap to a standard so maybe I'll do that sometime soon.
Anyway, I guess just to say that it's a lot of bolts and some nuts and quite a few wires but it's not too difficult.

Wait so did you transfer to a JDM transmission? If you did, please let me know how that went, I'm planning on swapping one in this summer.

Back