Fuel pump going bad?

Bao N

Reaction score
Hello folks, today during a sunny day, my 1999 j30a1 coupe stalled out in the middle of the road at a light. This was very common for me, and usually a turn at the key would do the job, but it didn't. I cranked it multiple times and it would rev to about 300-400 rpms then turn off. I proceeded to turn the hazards on and pushed the car to the side of the road. Multiple cars came out to help me, but once my car was on the edge of the road, once the bystander got out of my car from steering it, I jumped back in and proceeded to start it. Magically, it started right up and everyone rejoiced and left. I didn't check my oil levels or anything, but this has been an ongoing problem for probably a year or two since I've owned the car. The spark plugs have been changed in the last 10k miles, as well as the distributor cap and plugs. I've tried many fuel cleaning additives, the ones with pea, marvel mystery oil, and other gumout stuff, but they usually give me misfires and I can feel the loss in power while at highway speeds. For ex, while i'm cruising on the highway at 80 mph, and left off the gas to cruise, when I begin to accelerate again, I just have a dead pedal and it constantly feels like it's shifting out of overdrive, and into 4th and vise versa. I do have some emission codes like p0420, random misfires detected, p0457 and p0456. My gas cap works fine, I can hear the pressure when unscrewing it, and I've replaced many evap parts, such as the canister, purge valve, and my egr has been done as well. My car has 222k on the clock, and I'm not sure what to do next. I was also diagnosed for fuel injector replacement as well, but I don't think that might be the problem. If I do need to replace the fuel pump, would the 20 dollar ebay ones work? Or should I replace the whole assembly, along with the fuel injectors as well. On another note, I do have a slight gas smell on startup as well, I don't know if this is from a vaccum leak or not, but I did have my air intake hose replaced.

Xwifesse

Reaction score
I'm no expert I am sure of that but I think you made a good educated guess when you think the fuel pump is the problem. I would go for a quality replacement tho. From what I hear the fuel pump is an important part of the fuel delivery and wouldn't want to be stuck with some cheap one that cannot do the job properly. I hope everything works out if you decide to swap it out. Good luck!

Matt Taylor

Reaction score
Walbro would be a good quality replacement pump, make sure you get a genuine one.

Injector replacement sounds unlikely but one thing you could do is pull them out and clean them or before even cleaning them, test them to see if they are clogged.

Bao N

Reaction score
Hi guys, thank you all for the replies but I've stumbled on another problem. My car currently has misfires on all cylinders. I usually take short trips around since all the places I go to are short distanced away from each other. I took all the spark plugs and wiped off any oil that was on them. I do need a valve cover gasket on the rear plugs for cylinders 1,2, and 3. I also pulled out all the wires while the car was running only to find out that the plug on cylinder 2 is not changing idle upon removal. All the other plugs are, except that one. Should I replace the distributor? Just the one wire? Also, to note, I did have a spare spark plug handy that was brand new, so I took out the one in cylinder two to replace, and the misfire was still there. Thanks for all the tips and help.

Edit 1: Just to update you guys, I had ran previously platinum plugs in my car instead of the factory double plats, maybe that was the reason for the misfires. I upgraded all 6 to iridiums, and car is still misfiring. The wires came in today, but I will have to put them on tomorrow and i'll update you if my misfires go away, if not, it's probably the fuel injectors at this point and I can kiss the fuel pump replacement goodbye if that was the original problem all along.

Last edited:
Back