How bad are factory speakers ?

SupraGuy

Reaction score
FWIW.

I used to build IASCA SQ cars, so I can be picky enough.

I installed an aftermarket deck in mine, with reasonable built-in power, and ran it on the factory speakers.

Certainly there are better out there, but if you are not running an external amplifier, you are going to need to spend some good coin for significant improvement. Really, the factory speakers are probably good enough and more for anything that an intermal deck amplifier is going to do. The amplifier in even a very good head unit is still a big limiter on what you can actually get for good sound. High end decks might have a half decent amplifier in them, but they're not much better than the cheap Wal-Mart decks for the simple reason that high end decks almost always go with external amplifiers for good systems. There is a bigger difference in the DSPs, and in pre-out quality, but the built-in amp is probably the same on the $75.00 Alpine as it is in the $750.00 Alpine.

If your factory speakers are DAMAGED, that's a different story. Mine are still good, and actually I found the sound to be good FOR WHAT IT IS. A little dynamat inside the doors and rear shelf helped boost the low end a little, but with the large cone area of the stock units, I think that it wasn't too bad to start with. the tweeters seemed entirely reasonable when not overdriven, and for the largest part, the biggest difference was sound damping to reduce road noise.

Sure, my Focals paired with a nice Audison amplifier would have sounded better, but I'd be pretty sorely disappointed if I put those same speakers on deck power. It would be an incremental upgrade at best.

For most people, IMO the factory speakers are going to be good enough, provided that they aren't damaged. If you do need to replace them, and you are NOT planning on an external amplifier, don't spend a lot of money.

One question, from factory is the crossover built in the door panel speakers itself or into the tweeters ?

I think that I looked into this, and the "crossover" is basically a capacitor on the tweeter to protect it from bass/midrange notes, and the midrange gets a full signal, it just can't replicate the high notes. It's simple, but without a lot of careful alignment, it's fairly effective. you put a full range signal to 2 wires to drive both mid and tweeter.

Back