In search of a new ride

Omega-1

Reaction score
Whats going on guys Omega-1 here. Recently my current car a 2000 accord v6 sedan has been acting up. Now I have had the car for a few years (I believe 14 and it's a been a good ride since then but has always had some kind issue with it that I could never seem to fix. See the car has about 195k on the dash got about at 173k and it drives but the problem with the car has been that after starting it and driving it for a long period of time its begins to sputter and put put its self when I go to put my foot on the pedal This problem has been like this since I had the car but it's never been that much of an issue but concerning what my job entails now as electrical apprentice I think it's important to note.

Example: the other day I had to drive into NYC on two separate occasions to do deliveries for my job. The first trip i'm on the highway it drives fine and what not I get to my destination and I'm waiting to deliver the parts to the guy so I park up my car on street in NYC waiting for the guy to call me back. At this point I had turned my car off cause well i had been waiting for while and finally he calls back so I proceed to turn my car back on to meet him to drop off the phones and wires for the construction job site. This is when I go to try and turnover the key the car immediately dies and it does a couple more times right here in the middle of NYC at in the middle of day with people just bustling up in down right pass me no biggie though I know how to get it to start. I start the car once more and I hold my foot on the the throttle about 2500 rpm for about a min and thirty seconds because this isn't the first time its done this and it finally stays on but it's low idle and rough jerky start at low speeds. Anyways meet foreman and deliver the packages and i'm my way back with the car sputtering and jerking back at low speeds till the highway. Only ask to go back into the city again for for another job site to deliver some other power tools in deep in the bronx for the car to do the same thing.

So okay with crazy and somewhat embarrassing story here are some of ideas for cars and plans for the near future.

1. I keep this car and continue to try and get it fixed until I can really of afford option 2 or 3 or 4 ...etc.
2. I've been looking at the 3rd Gen TL's always liked them and they are coming down even more so in price could get one of those
3. Even early model TLX is coming down in price and they don't even seem that bad plenty of tech and features.
4. I get a pick up like Tacoma/Tundra. considering I electrical apprentice but pickups seem to be fairly more expensive then my other choices.
5. Something else I'm thinking
scratch.gif

All in all I think the car could hold on for a little while more now at least a year and half, taken that I had driven it for months in the past for a previous job to upstate NY and even Albany and that problem never occurred during those times. I'd really love to here what you guys think especially the 3rd gen TL VS TLX.

For those asking I live in NY, very close to city and surrounding areas Westchester NY.

I've been thinking that since the car has so many miles on it and since I got it I never did the timing belt on it I should do that instead of just a regular ole tune it considering I remember doing that not long ago. What would I be looking at spending on doing the tune up/ timing belt parts and labor? Below is the codes that came up on the car when I took it to get it scanned at autozone. Honda Accord codes .jpg

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
i'd work out a budget first before looking into any cars.... a 3rd gen TL is nice.. at least it doesn't have transmission issue!

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
As a Union Journeyman Wireman who just completes the 5 year apprenticeship last May I recommend not using your personal vehicle for work deliveries. That is what a company work vehicle is for.

It seems like you may have the heat soak issue with the j30s.

I would fix the problem but that’s just me. And I love the third gen TLs.

On a side note if you aren’t in the union apprenticeship I would highly advise to try and join. Work possibilities, pay, and benefits are miles above non union.

datechboss101

Reaction score
First off, how much are you willing to spend on repairing the CG? And how much are you willing to spend if you are going to buy a "new" car ("" to emphasize a new to you)?

The 3rd gen TL and 1st gen TLX are both really great vehicles. Just make sure you don't get a one that isn't a clean title, and use that as your personal vehicle. I am making the same mistake for my current job, since I am using my daily as both my personal, family hauler, and pizza delivery vehicle, and it has been taking a beating over the past three months.

Omega-1

Reaction score
Well I'm looking to spend at least 1500 getting it fixed. Things I plan on doing such as:

1.Timing belt
2. battery
3. New tires

And now my car makes a noise in the front right side when I'm driving like a scratching screeching sound probably my brake/ rotors. Anybody knows what that is? like I'll going any speed 20mph all the way up to highway speeds and it makes this screeching/ grinding sound.

I'll get all of these things done because it would probably cheaper for me as right now, being that I am an electrical apprentice and not making any big big bucks yet.

rezwerd

Reaction score
Scratching does sound like it might be brake-related, possibly a stuck caliper? I don't know much about Honda brakes specifically, but I once had a sheared slide bolt on the Saturn which allowed the caliper assembly to swing out and contact the inside of the wheel sometimes, resulting in a grinding noise (usually when stopping from higher speeds). I didn't figure it out until I took off the wheel and saw bare metal around the inside. I don't think our cars use bolts for the caliper slide pins, at least from what I've seen of the rear brakes when replacing a wheel bearing, so I'll leave that line of speculation to someone more qualified.

The first things I'd check would be the amount of wear on the brake pads on the suspect wheel, and if there appears to be wear somewhere there shouldn't be any (on the brake rotor surface or on the wheel, for example).

It also sounds like it could be a wheel bearing, though that's usually more of a howling than a grinding. Does it make the noise the whole time you're driving over 20mph, or just sometimes at those speeds? Does the noise change when you apply the brakes?

Omega-1

Reaction score
Well okay the noise happens as simple as this. I can start the car either cold start or not and I'll put it in reverse and begin to back up slowly and it will begin to make that noise then I even tested it and put it back in drive and moved forward really slowly and same thing the noise happens. It makes it happen at all speeds and is really annoying.

Omega-1

Reaction score
Update 4/5/19

I went and got my car fixed today for the various others things that needed to get fixed. What apparently got fixed today was my timing belt and had did a tune up.

The parts I bought were from amazon and here are the links I was wondering if anyone here could take a look at what I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004986ZTO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011J8LGXG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reason I'm asking the mechanic came back and gave me a few parts back 1 being the timing belt he said that the belt was already done. Oddly enough he said he change all the parts that were suppose to go on the car and if that is true then why isn't the timing belt I got back even a little bit worn? I mean when I bought the car it was from my brother who bought it off the street from an older guy so maybe before he sold it he did it?

Hopefully he did what he was suppose to do and before someone asks I have had this mechanic do work on my car and last car before and everything seemed to run fine. I'm going to give a test and see what comes of the car.

other returned parts distrubter cap, distrubuter rotor

Thoughts???

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Sometimes the original belts still look in great condition after 90-100k miles and sometimes they don’t.

Gates is the best you can buy that isn’t a Honda belt.

trident

Reaction score
Sometimes the original belts still look in great condition after 90-100k miles and sometimes they don’t.

Gates is the best you can buy that isn’t a Honda belt.
Gates is definitely a good alternative to OEM.

Back