My next daily and my CG news

datechboss101

Reaction score
Well, its been almost three months, and I forgot to update this forum, that we have traded our CG5 after owning it for about 20 years for a 2018 Nissan Kicks SR. The Kicks has given us problems, granted its a first model year car, but in typical Nissan fashion, everything has issues regardless how new or how many miles it has.

We traded the CG with 121,975 miles on the clock, and we traded it because my parents just didn't want to invest anymore money into it. The radiator has cracked and was traded in with some JD Weld on it, the front wheel bearings (which are PITA) were going bad for about the fifth time, a head-gasket leak, and that neverending transmission fluid leak.

However, with that said, moving on with the next topic, I am looking for a new daily that will be replacing my current daily (2016 nissan Rogue). I recently, in December (when we still had the CG) got a job as a delivery driver for Pizza hut. I have been starting to save up money towards getting a luxury vehicle as my graduation gift, in which I will be getting around 2022, before my 22nd birthday. I am looking at the Lexus RX350, Acura MDX, and BMW X3 (not the M40i version). So far, I only had positive experiences with the Acura MDX, but I wanted to hear about experiences from you guys about the RX line-up and the X-series line-up. This will really help me to understand what to look for if I decide if I should go used or go new.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Best thing to do is get on Lexus/BMW forums and read the stickies, research recalls and common issues, etc. My wife's Venza we got at 55k and it now has 113k, just regular maintenance. I'd go with Lexus. If you were going with a car I'd say BMW is worth a look but once you get into the world of SUV's they have no advantage anymore really. Saving up for a car is a great idea, but I'd wait until you get your first stable career based job to buy it, so you know you can continue to support owning a luxury car.

T.$.Racing

Reaction score
Sounds like you guys have learned a valuable lesson. ANY Nissan post-Renault take-over is a piece of crap. They have piss poor R&D, engineering budgets and dead lines half that of Honda or Toyota, and they use lower quality materials. This is coming from someone who has 2 Nissan's in my garage btw....

If you think wheel bearings are a PITA you will absolutely LOVE turning a wrench on any of the 3 you listed.

I also think you must be higher than giraffe coochie if you plan on delivering pizza pie's in any of the above.

That being said I'd get the BMW if it was me and I was limited to those choices. The other 2 just scream estrogen to me

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
why do u want a luxury vehicle for your graduation gift? i'm in my late 30s and never had a luxury car... :shrug:

remember that a luxusry vehicle comes with more expensive maintenance and parts.. it's not just the actual cost of the car itself

datechboss101

Reaction score
My parents love Nissan, but I don't since I see most of the issues on a daily basis. They love it because of the value of more bang for the buck (the Kicks was $20k out the door), and had similar options to my current daily, and how they can't tell that I am driving (clearly I use cruise control for like 99.9% of the time on the highway). Right now, in my daily, something is sticking out from the dash board and Nissan literally said that it was normal to have something sticking out of the dashboard, which is really unnormal for me. And unlike the Hondas we own, both Nissan Headunits are glitching crazily. Like the other day while I was driving in Miami, the headunit decided out of nowhere to restart itself.

And yeah, after driving the Rogue and MDX for a long time, I am staying in the crossover realm. I am not going to jump into those forums until later, when I do go to the dealers after my extensive online research, to see if I really do see myself in the said vehicle or not.

I never had experienced a used car (CPO much prefered), but if I do go the CPO route, I was actually thinking about the 9th gen accord ex-l v6 w/ navi or v6 touring. And, since this will be my own car (not under my dads name for once), I will be doing all the wrenching for it (saves me money), cause I will be too broke to let some college student that doesn't have that much experience working on my car. :D So far, I got me an oil catch/drain pan from Harbor freight, got the necessary tools for the oil drain plug, got me a long breaker bar from harbor freight. In a few days I will be getting ramps because I just had a brand new floor jack that failed to jack up my current daily (it was a 3-ton floor jack).

When I mean luxury, ofc I will try my best with getting something reliable like Acura or Lexus, since those parts are rather cheap unlike those German and Nissan counterparts, and these tend to last a really long time, so I don't have to do any repairs after a long period of time. Plus, Acura has a feature that HONDA doesn't offer, which is the 360 camera view, and is very helpful. However, I am in no means of buying anything that has a Toyota badge at all, because I straight up hate that brand for multiple reasons, and most of them are basically boring econoboxes that doesn't have any engagement in them like the new Nissan's (idk if the R35 and 370z doesn't fall in this category since they are old).

T.$.Racing

Reaction score
You do realize a Lexus is a Toyota right? Like how when you look at the manufacturers door jamb tag on any Acura it says Honda Motors

Its like someone saying they absolutely refuse to buy a Ford, but they love Lincoln Town Car's....

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
You still sound pretty entitled about what car your parents are gonna buy you. Lexus IS Toyota. Just more luxury.

datechboss101

Reaction score
You still sound pretty entitled about what car your parents are gonna buy you. Lexus IS Toyota. Just more luxury.

I never said my parents are going to buy me a car. They already are paying my college fees, which I guess you forgot about that, and they told me clearly they cannot afford to buy a new one for a long time, since they got 2 car payments (both car payments happened to be their vehicles, not my current daily).

I know Lexus is a SUBDIVISION of Toyota. But Lexus is not associated with boring econoboxes, as Toyota is. Plus, I got more dislike for the Toyota (I think I made it obvious though). But then nothing is gonna stop me from changing it from Toyota Motor Co on the door jam to Lexus Motor Co (unless that is illegal to do).

And the CPO market with low miles is still on the table for me.

jypatric

Reaction score
I tried driving my brother's MDX before and I can say that ride quality is great. Handling is good also.

Back