Anyone using Android head units?

mossberg

Reaction score
I've got the factory double din radio with 6-cd changer, and thinking about getting an Android double din head unit. I've been wanting to add a backup cam, and an Android head unit would be a slick way to have a screen for the cam instead of buying a dedicated camera screen that mounts to the windshield.

523H5Ss.jpg

Ebay is full of sub-$100 Android head units. Some even include a backup cam. Anyone have experience with Android head units? Are the cheap ones just garbage?

Some newbish questions:
1. Can the steering wheel controls on the 6GA connect to the Android head units that have a steering wheel control feature?
2. Is the 6GA radio a standard size double din - i.e., will pretty much any Android double din fit?
3. And would I just need something like this Metra dash kit? https://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-7895-Double-Installation-1998-2002/dp/B003D3NEH2
4. And I guess I need some kind of connector adapter(s) with a connector to the factory connector(s) and a bunch of wires coming out to solder to the wires from the head unit's connector?

Any particular models you'd recommend?

Last edited:

jypatric

Reaction score
Old thread but I'm curious if you had success upgrading your head unit.

Matt Taylor

Reaction score
I recently installed one and I really like it

1. It depends on the signal voltage that the steering wheel controls send out, but most likely it will work and if not, you can switch to aftermarket ones that have the correct voltage.

2,3. Yes, the accord's radio is actually slightly bigger than the standard double din size, you need the Metra 95-7895 to enable the double din unit to seamlessly fit into the dash.

4. Any adapter harness will work, I ordered 2 different metra ones with 2 different extra wires, both of which are not used. The 2 extra wires not used with these android head units and the CG chassis are a dimming wire and a power antenna wire, simply tape these wires off or eliminate them from the harness.

Matt Taylor

Reaction score
A little update on the android. It seems to be having trouble upon startup on hot days. I assume the electronics might have a safety function to turn it off when too hot. When I get going, it works fine, dependably, for the entire drive, but it requires a restart button press once the car is warmed up.

I have already installed a 12v CPU fan to try to pull heat away from the unit, with ineffective results. I turned the fan around today so that it is blowing air directly into the unit's heatsink-like back which is more effective, but still not enough...

I am considering installing an on/off switch in line with the acc+ circuit to be able to turn it on a few minutes after startup.

Then, possibly a little liquid cooling system for it, if necessary.

It definitely requires further cooling capability in hotter climates. It isn't even extremely hot today either, the car is in the driveway at about 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

cg4ever

Reaction score
Matt Taylor, what brand and model is your headunit ? I'm quite surprised to hear about those heating problems you have especially if it's one of those major brand name.

Matt Taylor

Reaction score
It's a China one that I got on ebay, no name. It has a rather heavy duty back plate that feels like steel because of the weight of the unit, which could be the culprit. I'm assuming that overheating is the problem, but it could be that it doesn't like when I turn it on with the acc position of the key or even a combination of the 2. I think it's more the latter as it works great once I get going. I think that the switch idea is going to fix the issue. What happens is, when I turn the car on, the head unit turns on, but then when I start the car, it keeps wanting to reset itself thereafter for a short time, then it works great. I think that if I turn the head unit on with a switch after the car is started and my fan has been running on it, this will solve this minor issue as I think it needs that initial ventilation from heat built up in that area when the car sits in the sun. On a cool day, it works fine, no issues, whatsoever.

Last edited:

Matt Taylor

Reaction score
I installed the switch today and after waiting for the car to warm up, I turned on the switch for the head unit and it worked great for the entire time. I think that the combination of this switch and the fan are key elements to enable this particular head unit to work dependably.

One thing that comes to mind for my future builds is a standalone monitor that I plug a raspberry pi into. This would enable the ability to datalog the wideband and exponentially increase the abilities of the stereo system. The drawback to this would be figuring out the proper DAC's to use and getting all of that to sync properly with the car speakers, whereas these android head units already have all of that figured out and work great. This would work best with an android head unit with an hdmi input that the raspberry pi could plug into, if that is available, I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Matt Taylor

Reaction score
I have now realized that I can use an hdmi to rca converter to plug the pi into the android head unit! This way, I will be able to use the pi together with the android head unit, because the head unit is only an rca monitor in its other modes. I will post more about if this works when I get a chance to install it.

Mark2001Accord

Reaction score
Recently while on Ebay I noticed The Pioneer Appradio 3 has come down in price. They can be found for under $100 bucks now. The Appradio 3 connects right to phone apps, and mirrors the cel screen. Run apps like Torque, or Dash command, music / video in phone storage, Cd's, Movie's on DVD, Streaming services, Podcasts like Rogan, Google Maps navigation, Hondata's app, etc. on the heads 7" display. Stays connected through the HDMI/USB/Bluetooth.

The Appradio 3 was a great Double DIN style radio, that had plenty of quality features. Like a 7" touch screen with connectivity.

Make sure you have all the necessary adapters and cords.

The Pioneer Appradio 2, and 3 were really nice.

Last edited:

Mark2001Accord

Reaction score
Anybody want my old Pioneer AVH-4500BT 7" touch DVD USB Bluetooth display unit? Clean no scratches.

Probably $25 to ship in the Conus.

20191029_160604.jpg

20191029_160627.jpg

Last edited:
Back