Evan's 05 TL 6MT

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
So some bad news:

Got the engine in the car, running great. I shifted from 3rd to 4th, and the car just died. Come to find out, my timing tensioner failed (NEW OEM), so either it got super lucky and shut the car down before that happened or I bent the valves, which is highly likely. So I have the motor and trans out again, (I'm getting decently quick at it now) and I'm either going to just get some heads from the junkyard and throw it back in, or I have a spare J32A2 laying around, which sounds fun to try and fit in there. I'll keep you all updated

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
You must be one unlucky person to have a new OEM Honda part fail on you. Hope the motor is alright. Good thing you have a 3rd daily driver? lol

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
You must be one unlucky person to have a new OEM Honda part fail on you. Hope the motor is alright. Good thing you have a 3rd daily driver? lol

If the motor isnt, which it isnt looking great, I'll either just slap some heads on it and throw it back in until I find a clean shell to throw everything in. Or repair this shell, who knows. Needs body work, paint, and all that. But yea, my S10 is still truckin along.

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
Well car is running again. Pulled the engine again, trans, and threw it on a stand. Valves made contact, so I got heads from the junkyard and sent them off to the machine shop for the works. Threw the new heads on, and torqued everything to spec. New timing belt, water pump, tensioners, gaskets, engine/trans mounts, etc. Also deleted the check valve in the slave cylinder. Sucks I had to do this work twice, but I found out how it easy to tear these motors down. But everything is back in and running smoothly.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Nice. Pain to have to get into that as much as you did, but great way to learn stuff.

Did you delete the check valve in the slave cylinder of your 7GA 6MT tranny in your Accord?

T.$.Racing

Reaction score
Glad to hear its back up and running. Easily the best color combo I've ever seen on these cars. Wouldn't mind replacing my 6G with one of these as a DD

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
^what does that do exactly?

Sorry for just responding to this, been busy with finals and school.

But there is a plastic valve in these slave cylinders, which is tapered, so fluid goes in fast, but exits at a very small opening. This makes shifts seem smoother and easier, but on rev-matching downshifts, this doesn't work for it very well, and it'll slip the clutch just a a bit as a result. When removing it, it is just free-flowing fluid, which means you can throw the gears easier and it feels a little more mechanical. Next limiting factor is the dual-mass flywheel, which makes driving easier, but it is just isn't as fun. Being used to my single-mass flywheel S10, you can throw gears and downshift as much as you want, and it'll take it. With the S10, it just feels better and much more mechanical.

Glad to hear its back up and running. Easily the best color combo I've ever seen on these cars. Wouldn't mind replacing my 6G with one of these as a DD

I still want either a red TL or a white one, still don't know which one I like more. This shell isn't the greatest, so I will probably find an auto shell that has black interior and swap everything over to it one day.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Sorry for just responding to this, been busy with finals and school.

But there is a plastic valve in these slave cylinders, which is tapered, so fluid goes in fast, but exits at a very small opening. This makes shifts seem smoother and easier, but on rev-matching downshifts, this doesn't work for it very well, and it'll slip the clutch just a a bit as a result. When removing it, it is just free-flowing fluid, which means you can throw the gears easier and it feels a little more mechanical. Next limiting factor is the dual-mass flywheel, which makes driving easier, but it is just isn't as fun. Being used to my single-mass flywheel S10, you can throw gears and downshift as much as you want, and it'll take it. With the S10, it just feels better and much more mechanical.

Hmm ok. I am all for shifts feeling more mechanical, though it seems hard to imagine mine could get any more mechanical. Operating my shifter feels like a bolt action rifle haha. Might look into this. Wonder if there is one on the ATS I could remove, that shifter could definitely stand to feel more mechanical.

I have always wanted a lighter flywheel, but not sure how much lighter you can go with everything else being stock and not throw off the engine balance. I feel like the revs in my Accord are pretty lively, but maybe a flywheel that was 8-10 lbs less would be perfect.

Back