New guy in Hawaii

RyGuy

Reaction score
Hey gang, I'm new here, but have been browsing the forum for a couple of weeks now. Looks like a great place, lots of helpful info and a knowledgeable member base. I picked up a '98 V6 from a older neighbor for ZERO dollars.:) It is bone stock and had about 65,xxx miles when it came into my possession. CEL was on (which turned out to be a loose gas cap) and it was burning a ton of oil. An oil change and new valve cover gaskets solved that problem. Other than a decent interior cleaning (changed cabin air filter) and a wash, I've done nothing to the car. YET. Here's what I've pulled together from the junkyard/CL over the last couple of weeks:

'98 6GA coupe front bumper w/lip
Mini BBK upgrade from an '01 TL
'00 Odyssey alternator (leftover from my Ody)
17" RSX-S wheels

The paint is AWFUL. Clearcoat is burnt and peeling in all the places you'd expect it to be, bumpers are scuffed on the corners but otherwise, the body is not bad. Some SMALL surface rust on the front driver door edge and a couple of small dings that are definitely fixable. Typical problems otherwise (climate control board needs work, clock burnt out, gauge cluster lights burnt). Would like to do a engine swap in the future. And a 6MT swap if I can source the parts locally.

That's about it. Will be around and updating as things progress.

Last edited:

T.$.Racing

Reaction score
Welcome. You're definitely in the right place if/when the 6MT swap comes into play

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Welcome, 65k? That thing is a baby. Clearcoat/paint deterioration is inevitable with these cars, unfortunately.

RyGuy

Reaction score
Welcome, 65k? That thing is a baby. Clearcoat/paint deterioration is inevitable with these cars, unfortunately.
Yeah, I see it on a lot of Hondas from this same period. The car was garage kept for most of its life until the last 5 years or so when it moved onto the street in favor of a new CRV. I'll deal with everything else first, then get to the body/paint.

Back