daily but want to step it up..

sbelangia

Reaction score
So I bought a 89 accord with the interior in really good shape... the paint is failing like they do but isn't a problem because Ive been doing paint and body for over 20 years... I did a lot of stuff for car showing on various cars I had around the years this was new. I still do plenty of custom stuff. I metal flaked a Rubicon about a month ago. I have already decided on my color which is actually an old Triton green Range rover color but kinda looks like Kawasaki bike or synergy green on the newer camaros kinda. It will be HEAVY metal flake for sure.... Anyways before I get set to paint it this is my first Honda. I basically bought it to drive to work because the full size truck I was driving (basically bought as a trailer with a motor to carry saltwater from the beach to my 1100g worth of reef tank for changing out water was only getting like 11 mpg.... I ust dropped my headliner to measure and wil be ordering a 35x40 sliding ragtop next week Im curious as to what other mods people do to these. prob no car shows. prob going to order a ground effect kit and still debating on my suspension... shaving the door moldings almost for sure and possibly the handles... what else is a big thing done to these. its the 4 cylinder automatic so not so much performance stuff but if I can squeeze more mpg Id do that prob. thanks for any insight

T.$.Racing

Reaction score
If its going to be your daily driver I'd skip all the exterior mods and fab work. Use it for what it is, and all that custom stuff and flashy paint is going to draw a lot of unwanted attention to a type of car that is stolen frequently, in parts of the U.S. at least.

Anything that helps the engine breathe better, i.e. exhaust and intake, will increase efficiency as well. Start with an ebay cold air intake. Will liven up the throttle response quite a a bit and is usually good for 1-2mpg. IMHO a manual trans swap would be the greatest improvement to all areas you could do, as well as increasing reliability and mpg potential.

I'm not too knowledgeable on that old of an Accord, but I know on the 92-93ish Accords the DSM 4G63 exhaust manifold is compatible, and a direct bolt on. Easy/cheap way to go turbo with someone elses stock take-off stuff.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
5spd manual swap and suspension is how you make that car more fun. But check out the master DIY list for more ideas if you don't want to do anything that major. Common mods are blackhousing the headlights, window tinting, changing the wheels, lowering suspension, front lip, exhaust, intake, steering wheel swap.

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
My first car was a 86 accord lxi hatchback, first and foremost a 5spd swap would waking the car up. The bad part is the 3rd gen accords werent as popular as 4th, 5th, or 6th gen accords, so performance parts will be very hard to find now. All is not lost though, if you can find a b20a motor (completely seperate from any other b series motor) and manual from a 3rd gen prelude it should swap right in as this combo was optional in japan and europe. Make sure you get the mounts, ecu, and wiring. Trust me dont waste your time with the a20 motor in it, it sucks, it will never be fast. If you do this swap and find some lowering springs, get a custom cheap exhaust made you will have a fun daily. Wont be fast but will be fun drivers car (think miatia driving fun). Everything else will either have to be custom or you will have search high and low. If all else fails try to find a 4th or 5th gen accord for much easier options.

Good luck let me know if you need anything else, that gen accord is what made me love accords (on my 5th accord now, 1 3rd gen, 3 4th gens, and my current 6th gen). Also what body style is it?

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
Also check out 3geez.com its the go to forum for 3rd gen accords, its still active as far as i can tell. Lots of info there.

Back