J32 and auto trans swap

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
has anyone ever seen or done an Acura TL J32 v6 auto swap??

My cousin has an Acura TL that his buddy offered him 350 as is. It’s a low ball offer but the car has been sitting for a couple years and the intake manifold needs to be put back together. But it ran strong and hard AF when it was running. He has two IS300s so it’s just a extra now.

I was wondering if I could just swap the motor and auto trans and harness and ECU and be driving. I don’t mind having an auto. Finding an Acura 6 speed that the seller doesn’t want an arm and a leg for around here is hard to come by.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
If you're talking about the 2G TL that 5spd is made of glass, same as our 4spd. So given the work this swap takes in all aspects I would not say it's worth it to end up with a setup that may not work, or work for long. Physically it's mostly straightforward but you still have electrical work and other things to consider like the height of the J32 causing the need to either space the hood, lower the subframe, or use the J37 IM.

Talk to Wheeelman if you are interested in exploring an auto J swap.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
J32 swap.....people still bother with those?? :lawl:

OP, consider the J35 swap for an auto/straight motor and tranny swap.

Alot more torque and some extra hp, which can transform the TL into something a little more fun.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Yeah but if I can the the motor and trans basically for free why not??

Hell I have even contemplated dropping the j32 and auto transmission into a gutted civic hatchback. The power to weight would still be a lot of fun and cheap. Yeah the front end is gonna be heavy lol

juicebox00

Reaction score
I used the auto trans out of a 2006 accord with my J32. There is a parts list on Acurazine about what needs to be swapped over from the TL trans to the Accord trans. Accord trans is much more bullet proof and the final gear is enough to go beyond the limit of the speedometer. The TL tiptronic will function normally as well as long as you swap over the dash harness(recommend a TL non-navi harness for easier radio function as well)

Link for parts needed for the swap: https://acurazine.com/forums/second.../06-07-accord-trans-swap-858165/#post13812130

I basically had to Frankenstein this entire swap with only the advice on post #8 of that thread.... but it works.

Back