Greetings from the Frozen North.

Reaction score
Howdy, all.

Just signing off on a grandma-owned 1999 Accord. I've come here to learn what I need to about known issues or points of failure, any quirks the car has, that sort of thing.

The one I'm buying is heavily optioned. Everything works. It's done 127K km / c. 80k miles. My mechanic likes it. A tiny bit of surface rust in the rear wheelwells, but otherwise very sound.

I used to have a Civic years ago, but never an Accord. Must be moving up in the world. :) What should I know?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. As you probably know the autos are prone to failure, driving technique and proper care can help keep it going. Or yours may be perfectly fine, it's a crapshoot. Either way 80k miles is low mileage, nice pickup.

Here is a discussion on helping keep the auto running its best if interested.
https://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/threads/ways-to-prolong-the-life-of-our-at-tranny.44620/

I would nip that rust in the bud now, it will only spread and get worse as times goes on, wish I had done something about it for mine earlier.

There is wealth of info on the site, since these cars have been around going on 20 years now most everything you could think of has been discussed and the search function is a great tool.

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
Welcome and nice find with that low mileage! Redryder pretty much covered the one downfall the auto trans. Besides that these accords run like tanks.

Reaction score
Definitely going to get ahead of the rust if I can. Probably do a little rustproofing while I'm at it.

Thanks for the tip on the trans. Seems a weird weakness in the engineering. Damn shame in an otherwise ultra-reliable car. What tends to fail in there?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Clutch packs. Some people thought their transmission was a goner, but then replacing the shift solenoids fixed it. Kinda crazy but the circumstances do differ. My auto was still operating "normally" when I took it out at 133k miles.

Back