Coolant gauge issue

bavarianblessed

Reaction score
Sorry man, no email notifications from this thread I guess.

From the outside I'm not sure there is a way to tell the difference between a 98 or 99 vs 00-02. You've already taken them apart at this point though so I'm sure you've noticed the difference. You also noticed that it's best to swap both the temp and fuel gauges together I'm sure. You can remove them both without removing the needles and having to try and align them again.

At this point it sounds like your cluster is messed up if the donor cluster worked fine before swapping the gauge into your original cluster. If I were you I'd just use the donor cluster. If you want to make sure your odometer stays correct you can swap the dip-8 eeprom chip from your old cluster to the new one. I just swapped mine from my 02 cluster to the 99 one I picked up for my swap. Pretty easy, I was going to do a write up on it just haven't had the time yet. IMG_20190810_024029.jpg

Robertl

Reaction score
Wait how do I remove then without removing the needles? I removed the needles and I think my fuel gauge is off

bavarianblessed

Reaction score
Wait how do I remove then without removing the needles? I removed the needles and I think my fuel gauge is off
Once you have the cover and shroud off of the cluster and you have access to the gauge faces, flip it over and bend the tabs that hold the gauges to the circuit board so they are straight up. Then use a screwdriver in the hole between those tabs to push on the back side of the gauges. Do it a little bit at a time on each gauge (fuel and temp) until they are through. Once they are free the whole gauge face comes out with the gauges attached to it still, needles and all. This is the tach but I did the same on all of them, you get the idea

IMG_20190810_021654.jpg IMG_20190810_021840.jpg

Robertl

Reaction score
Thats berry interesting. Is the actuall gauge itself different across all 5 years or is the actual gauge the same for all 5

bavarianblessed

Reaction score
Ah so the actual temp gauge has to be a 00 to 02?
If that's what you have now and are trying to replace, yep. The mounting pins on the cluster are different for the 98-99 compared to the 00-02.

This is a 99

IMG_20190810_022753.jpg

This is an 02

IMG_20190810_022741.jpg

Last edited:
Back