Air conditioner compressor not turning on

Dmerritt8712

Reaction score
1999 Accord EX sedan 3.0 air conditioner compressor will not engage. Two shops have been unable to locate problem. The relay that should have two hot, two ground only has one ground. Same for the relay for compressor fan, which does not turn on when the compressor runs, but it does not so are they connected? A jumper to the ground terminal of the relay will cause the compressor to engage. A jumper directly to the compressor will cause it to engage. System is fully charged and has a new compressor. Side note, the compressor was replaced because it was cycling on and off rapidly and burned the clutch
Any ideas?

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
Check the actual ground on the compressor itself, make sure that screw is tight. Ive seen new compressors have a loose ground. Otherwise you will need to start checking the grounds in the wiring for the a/c, break it into sections so its easier to check (as in eliminate parts that have good ground and power).
Dont focus on the a/c fan it wont control the a/c compressor. Now if you run direct power from the battery to the compressor you say it will enage the clutch correct? Does the air begin to cool? Do you see the clutch on the compressor actually spin?
I just fixed a civic with a very similar problem and it ended up being the remanufactured compressor had bad clutch that ripped and caused the ecu to cut power do to the clutch spinning at a different rpm than the motor.

Edit: did either of these shops run a new ground to the relay if they determined that a ground was missing?

Robertl

Reaction score
IV actually fixed this problem on a 00 accord before. The condensor fan fuse was blown I replaced it and everything started working. My advice the reason the fan is not working is probably the reason the compressor is not working ad the fan is needed to cool the freon

mrquinn

Reaction score
I had similar problems. I know this will sound funny but corrosion on battery cable prevented my compressor from turning on. I hope this works clean your cables

jypatric

Reaction score
The cluch relay controls the a/c compressor clutch, so check if it is working fine.

Back