Balancer shaft belt

Robertl

Reaction score
So I got my jdm f23a engine and I got the timing kits for both my jdm and my usdm. Do I absolutely need to install the balancer shaft belt? My 94 eclipse when i bought a reman engine for it it didnt even have the balancer shafts when it was built but its factory motor did amd i ran it to 300k it had 0 miles on it. So will the accord be safe without the balance shaft belts

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
I would recommend replacing it, its easy enough especially since you are doing the timing. As for if any damage will occur i wouldnt chance it. Also make sure you have the Balance shaft seal retainer installed, it would be a half metal bracket covering half the balance seal.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
The timing belt kit didn’t come with the balance shaft belt? I would use it. The engineers are smarter than I am and it’s there for a reason. To balance out harmonics.

INK DEMON

Reaction score
The balance shafts are there to equalize vibrations that are an inherent problem with 4 cylinder engines. Are they absolutely necessary? NO

Is it a good idea to install the belt? YES

While it is not crucial, it smoothens the feel of the car. Some cars such as the new Type Rs do not have balance shafts. They sacrifice a bit of vibration in exchange for less drag on the timing system.

Excessive vibrations may cause premature wear on other components, most notably the mounts.

Just get the $20 belt and slap it on.

Note: the rear balance shaft is not directly driven by the gear you see, so although your alignment mark may be correct, it is possible that the shaft may be off. I suggest you stick a hex key in the hole in the rear to hold it in place while installing the belt. If the engine idles or drives rough, remove the belt and spin the rear shaft 180 degrees and then reinstall the belt once again.

Hope this helps.

Back