High Mileage 6th Gens

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
Main coolant hose failed on the highway and before I could find a place to stop, the engine overheated badly.

Mechanic thought there was a good chance the head had warped/cracked after the gasket failed. I could either pay to have the head machined or just replace the entire engine with a used unit. I wanted to get several more years out of the car, so I paid ~$3,000 to have the engine swapped out.

The car has run well since then, and I still have the original transmission. The latter does shift harshly on occasion, but otherwise works fine as long as it has Honda ATF. I think I'll make 500,000 miles on the old girl!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Do you know if the replacement engine had a new timing belt installed before it was dropped in / as it was getting dropped in? That's a big job to do, and far more difficult one to do in the engine bay.

stevekaw

Reaction score
Yes, when the replacement engine was put in, the timing belt, hoses, etc were also changed out.

Believe it or not, I had a good relationship with the dealer service department which had originally sold me the car new years before. They performed the work, so I imagine they had all the equipment and expertise to do the job.

IIRC, the service advisor told me the first engine they put in didn't perform correctly, so they had to order another one from the vendor and that one worked fine; took an extra few days. 115,000+ miles later, and the replacement engine is going just fine *knock wood*.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
A few days ago....
a019751ad8cab0ba0fc13c117ff64cee.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Enne

Reaction score
Just had the radiator replaced and an oil change on Selene; she's at 172k now. At the current rate, about 13k miles a year just driving to work, she'd be at 200k in around two years. But it might take longer to get there now that I have the Prelude, which I drive during the summer.

Only... 68 more years driving at this rate until she's at 1 million miles, lmao

RyMi

Reaction score
306k and counting on my '01 V6 Sedan. Been a pretty darn reliable daily for the past 5 years. The 4spd Auto was rebuilt at around 190k I think, but the engine is still factory "fresh" lol--only major thing I've had to replace is a water pump around the 270k mark

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
306k and counting on my '01 V6 Sedan. Been a pretty darn reliable daily for the past 5 years. The 4spd Auto was rebuilt at around 190k I think, but the engine is still factory "fresh" lol--only major thing I've had to replace is a water pump around the 270k mark
Did you do the timing belt with the water pump?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Back