Cooling fan acting weird/car overheating

GERM

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals.

Need some advice on a weird issue im having with my 98 accord EX.
so I noticed about a month ago it started over heating as I was at a Bank drive thru. its been doing it ever since. the issue im having is that the fans are not turning on. weird part is that they do turn on if i have the car on "on"(not running) but when its running they wont turn on. car gets to about 3/4 hot as soon as i drive like 50 feet or so that car goes back to normal to about less than 1/2 hot. I changed the Cooling fan relay and the cooling fan switch, but still overheats. back in November I took it to the mechanic because it wouldnt start.
turns out it was a faulty ignition switch. Mechanic rewired/soldered my ignition switch, but did not replace it with a new one; can this possibly cause this?

any input would be appreciated.
thank you.

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
I doubt the ignition switch has to do with the car overheating. You need to run the car and make sure they arent kicking on. See if the fan kicks on with the a/c activated. You can also back probe the fans plug ins and see if it is getting power. More than likely you need a new fan assembly. Also check for leaks, just fixed a civic yesterday for similar problem but turned out tge upper radiator hose was slightly leaking past the clamp.

As for the ignition switch i would replace it yourself, they run about $75 new and are fairly easy to replace (did mine last week). Why anyone would bother resoldering is beyond me. They fail alot on a majority of acuras and hondas. Hope this helps you out.

GERM

Reaction score
@Eclipse99fwb

I was going to replace the fans until I noticed they both activate when I have the ignition on on.
So they both work they just don't work when it is running. So its very weird.
Ill check for leaks tomorrow.
Thank you for the input.

GERM

Reaction score
****UPDATE

So I ended up changing both fans since I got a deal, $80 for both. I changed them and still overheated at long red lights/traffic. mind you the radiator was replaced "professionally" in the neighborhood of 205k and im at 218k. I checked the radiator and the reservoir was completely empty. Bought some fluid; the radiator took a good 20 oz to fill not including the reservoir. as of now she has not overheated. I assume I have a leak somewhere since I just did the oil change two weeks ago with no signs of head gasket issues, also no white smoke at start up.

thank you Eclipse99fwb for the input, much appreciated.

Back