Ecu not responding and dead in the water...

Gunzo

Reaction score
01 coupe f23 5 speed manual
I parked the car and returned to it an hour later, to discover a no start issue. Cranks healthy, but no start. I began the diagnostic procedure first with all fuses, nothing found wrong. Checked a plug wire and found that there was no spark. Did not check for fuel at this time. Put a complete distributor on, with crank pos. censor, coil, the hole thing... no change. Put in a new main relay... no change. Put a different ecu, with matching part numbers in... no change. Ran threw all the fuses again with a test light on both sides, all are good. I then cleaned all engine bay grounds, and reinstalled them. Checked several ground pins at ecu plugs and they were good. I have not been able to find a pin out for the main relay, but tested the connector and had good ground, one constant pin, one pin get 12v with key on, and one pin get 12v when I crank it. If anyone has a pin out for the main relay, I think it would be helpful, but I’m not sure I’m even looking in the correct spot, as I have not pinpointed any problem as of yet. When you turn the key to the ON position there is no cel, no green key light, and when you lock the doors, the little red “security” light does not flash on the door panel like it did before. The cel works(I checked) but won’t come on. Everything is stock, and there was no new work done, no symptoms leading up to this, and nothing new or different happened, it just quit... any help or insight would be much appreciated as this is my only car and I’m in desperate need to get it running.

Gunzo

Reaction score
no, I didn’t think of that, I will have to try that soon as i can get another set of hands.

Gunzo

Reaction score
Bump start did not work, checked ignition, no problems found, I have no clue how to proceed or what to do from here. I’m in a bad spot without a vehicle.

Adhmuz

Reaction score
Sounds like your key isn't being detected or the alarm is triggered silently. My 98 did that to me a few times, it would arm but not fully disarm. It would take me cycling the alarm on and off a few times before it would allow me to start the engine. After it did it to me again I just stopped using the alarm and manually locked and unlocked the doors as the car does have a chip in the key for anti-theft. Not sure if disconnecting the battery for a while would clear it if you can't disable the anti-theft mechanism, that would probably be too simple and defeat the purpose.

If this isn't the problem check your ignition itself, possible it gave out or has a bad connection or ground.

Good luck

Mark2001Accord

Reaction score
The ignition no spark is sudden? Try to wiggle the ignition wiring harness under the dash whilest you crank it.

jfman

Reaction score
First - does the fuel pump come on? If no check the fuel pump relay and the pump itself

Second - Does it make spark? Check the distributor/coil

Back