4ccordg1rl

Reaction score
So I'm looking at grabbing an F20B DOHC VTEC from a Torneo SiR-T at a local scrapyard, but the only two cars with the DOHC engine (be it an F20B or H22) are automatics. I'll be taking the whole engine, ECU and harness.

What will be needed to make the VTEC engine work in my non-VTEC car on a manual gearbox? What needs to be done to the ECU? I believe I've read somewhere that in swapping an auto engine into a manual car you trick the ECU to think it's in drive, but idk.

Also is there any modification needed on the wiring harness? Can I just swap out the harness and plug in the ECU and turn the key? Or would a JDM CF4 SiR-T have a key chip that means I wouldn't be able to run it without chipping the ECU?

I can grab the whole engine for $180 NZD (approx. $115 USD) so why not? Plus it's $300+ NZD for a new timing belt (which my current engine needs, hasn't had it changed in years), so might as well do a swap given how much cheaper the swap is. Plus I'm tired of 135hp (maybe more like 80 now after 195k miles lmao)

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

(F23A5 engine [not mine, example photo])
3906732e-a411-41d2-bce3-f69ef6a14172.jpeg
F20B from the junkyard, sitting in a CF4 Torneo SiR-T.
87459426_217057142680305_4861334213732859904_n.jpg

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I'm looking at grabbing an F20B DOHC VTEC from a Torneo SiR-T at a local scrapyard, but the only two cars with the DOHC engine (be it an F20B or H22) are automatics. I'll be taking the whole engine, ECU and harness.

What will be needed to make the VTEC engine work in my non-VTEC car on a manual gearbox? What needs to be done to the ECU? I believe I've read somewhere that in swapping an auto engine into a manual car you trick the ECU to think it's in drive, but idk.

Also is there any modification needed on the wiring harness? Can I just swap out the harness and plug in the ECU and turn the key? Or would a JDM CF4 SiR-T have a key chip that means I wouldn't be able to run it without chipping the ECU?

I can grab the whole engine for $180 NZD (approx. $115 USD) so why not? Plus it's $300+ NZD for a new timing belt (which my current engine needs, hasn't had it changed in years), so might as well do a swap given how much cheaper the swap is. Plus I'm tired of 135hp (maybe more like 80 now after 195k miles lmao)

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Hopefully these can give you some insight, looks like the one member is also from NZ.

https://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/threads/cl1-euro-r-engine-in-a-cg5-sedan.54008/#post-1113852

https://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/threads/h22-swap.27142/

Mark2001Accord

Reaction score
That looks like a huge expensive project.

You already got an injected 2.3L and 16 valves. I don't know the current pricing but I have been able to get em boosted for less than $5-600. Play, learn, and go fast. Imagine a 1 bar spring and double the hp , 135hpx2. Simple in an afternoon. You know thats gonna be fast. Not a header, exhaust, and CAI let down.

To make the power you need engine management and forced induction. Not an F20B.

Back