RR's 2014 ATS 6spd 2.0T

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Here's some likes/dislikes if interested.

- manual/LSD
- relative rarity
- near 50/50 balance/overall light weight
- neat details, like LED door handles, frameless rear view mirror, rear windows go all the way down, etc
- affordability/value for money
- decently healthy aftermarket
- the look on people's faces when they learn Cadillac made a car with a manual and a turbo that handles :lawl:
- CD player! haha

Dislikes - obviously no fux were given about these since I still bought the car:
- 4cyl sounds a little brash
- electronic e-brake
- snug back seat/trunk
- lackluster instrument cluster
- no fold down rear seats (others do have them)
- haptic center console looks cool but I wonder about long term
- drive by wire (I'm old fashioned)
- no physical spare tire, car came with runflats (I bought one and put it in the trunk)
- no NAV (others do have it)
- base 17" wheels that came on mine are kinda lame, the factory 18's are sweet

Last edited:

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. Btw, I didn't know the TSX had the TL engine (with MT) until I started looking at the wagon. It only comes with AT, and I believe the 4 banger but a 4 door does have the bigger motor- https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a16581412/2010-acura-tsx-v6-road-test-review/

I do like the idea of turbo again. I also understand that even with good power, not having an exhaust may be a reasonable choice, I kept my stock exhaust on my Turbo AWD Talon for that reason, but it was mostly due to RSR going out of business for a period of time, they had a great quality one that was quiet, I didn't want to sound like a Civic, especially in that era, with a much more capable car. Kind of feel the same with my S2000, at full throttle, exhaust sounds nice but cruising around, it just sounds like a loud ass 4 banger.

You also bring up a good point, I like how both my cars are not drive by wire, no features I really don't want, other than autonomous breaking, I think that is the only safety feature that saves lives, but doesn't make you lazy and inattentive.

It looks good and I think my next car will be white so it caught my eye. However, in just the time I posted, I saw your car and others and realized just how much I like the way a 6th gen looks, and I don't need the power when I drive this car (though I am very guilty of hitting the 6k redline, forgetting which car I am in), so I have considered new wheels (I went back to stock), and upgrade the stereo (again, mine is just so old). I would probably just DD my S2K if I didn't need to go to Home Depot to fix my home up or do a project, and it wasn't going up in value. I seriously love the way your car looks and it just makes me want to upgrade, but then I see the red 6 spd and admire it just as much. I won't (and can't reasonably) swap my motor in CA, even to an H22 due to my 2002 year, so it stays slow but it surprises me when people don't know it is 20 years old. I am going to put another thread out, as I am conflicted, but both your cars are really inspiring to me.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. Btw, I didn't know the TSX had the TL engine (with MT) until I started looking at the wagon. It only comes with AT, and I believe the 4 banger but a 4 door does have the bigger motor- https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a16581412/2010-acura-tsx-v6-road-test-review/

I do like the idea of turbo again. I also understand that even with good power, not having an exhaust may be a reasonable choice, I kept my stock exhaust on my Turbo AWD Talon for that reason, but it was mostly due to RSR going out of business for a period of time, they had a great quality one that was quiet, I didn't want to sound like a Civic, especially in that era, with a much more capable car. Kind of feel the same with my S2000, at full throttle, exhaust sounds nice but cruising around, it just sounds like a loud ass 4 banger.

You also bring up a good point, I like how both my cars are not drive by wire, no features I really don't want, other than autonomous breaking, I think that is the only safety feature that saves lives, but doesn't make you lazy and inattentive.

It looks good and I think my next car will be white so it caught my eye. However, in just the time I posted, I saw your car and others and realized just how much I like the way a 6th gen looks, and I don't need the power when I drive this car (though I am very guilty of hitting the 6k redline, forgetting which car I am in), so I have considered new wheels (I went back to stock), and upgrade the stereo (again, mine is just so old). I would probably just DD my S2K if I didn't need to go to Home Depot to fix my home up or do a project, and it wasn't going up in value. I seriously love the way your car looks and it just makes me want to upgrade, but then I see the red 6 spd and admire it just as much. I won't (and can't reasonably) swap my motor in CA, even to an H22 due to my 2002 year, so it stays slow but it surprises me when people don't know it is 20 years old. I am going to put another thread out, as I am conflicted, but both your cars are really inspiring to me.

Very good point about not wanting to sound like a Civic when you have a much more capable car. That is something I think about as well. I am still running the factory exhaust but one day would like to get the Borla axleback for it, from what I’ve heard on YouTube I think it sounds decent.

The drive by wire thing is unescapable in newer cars, just the way it is. But you just have to adjust your inputs to get the results you want, and all is well. Apparently a throttle controller makes the throttle feel and act like cable driven, so that is something I consider. As for other features I don’t love, it’s all pretty minor and easily ignored or turned off. I am mostly about looks when it comes to cars, so I am willing to compromise on some things. Like the snug back seat/trunk, it’s a minor inconvenience but I’ve made it work thus far with two kids so it’s no big deal to me. This car is still mostly analog, and in some ways actually reminds me of my Accord. Like the front still has a separate upper and lower grill, so many cars now have one giant gaping grill in the front now, which I can't stand. A member here actually told me my ATS reminded me of his 6GA coupe...it was the guy with the silver coupe that did the whole Mugen conversion with legit parts, name was Jakub I think.

I love both my cars for mostly different reasons, and some same reasons. They both offer different experiences of value, so I can’t say I fully love one more than the other. Unfortunately the Accord has a lot of clearcoat peel and a few rust spots, it makes me sad but I know it’s worth nothing so I have a hard time putting the money into it. But I still love it and feel emotionally attached to it, which is why I can’t sell it…watching someone else drive off in it would be hard. That, and knowing I wouldn’t get what it’s worth to me personally, as well as knowing I will never modify a car as heavily as I did that one. If someday I ever somehow have a good chunk of disposable income sitting around, I would love to give it to a bodyshop and restore it. Interior still looks pretty good.

Anyway there are ATS coupes/sedans, auto/manual trans, 3.6L/2.5L/2.0T motors, different trim levels with different features, etc etc…what I have may not work for you but there is a big variety of them in terms of configuration and options. If you’re at all interested in an ATS I recommend going and just driving one, that’s the best way to get a feel for a car imo.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Been a while, wow. Looks like the site is still hoppin. :lawl: Hope everyone is well. My wife and I had our 3rd child in March so between that, work, and this COVID BS life has been a little crazy.

I have been able to do a few things here and there...
- installed 1 step colder spark plugs
- retrofitted a Euro ATS reverse light assembly that has a rear fog light built-in
- installed a Vitesse throttle controller
- debadged the 'ATS' and '2.0T' trunk emblems
- added some front "splitter" pieces to match the side and rear splitters.

Also my powertrain warranty expired 5/28, so I'm on my own with the car now. :skurred: Next is Borla exhaust and custom flat bottom steering wheel. Anyway saw this mural & snapped a pic after Cars & Coffee last week.

20200704_101524_1 by C B, on Flickr

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
Hey, 3rd kid?? Congrats! I'm sure this 4dr will be very useful, but that's of course if you let them in lol. You got some fine looking photos there. Makes me wanna explore more places for good looking backgrounds. This car's not a typical old man's Caddy for sure.

Back