2000 Accord Allows Shift without Break or Key in Ignition

LoganD19

Reaction score
I was changing the clock bulb light in my dash as well as changing out some bulbs in the ac control unit and while changing the clock bulb I accidentally shorted the bulb/clock light and it smoked and there was no power to the clock light nor did my odometer, spedometer or anything on the dash worked. It also did not shift out of park to which I fixed by opening the little hole next to the gearshift and pressing the button below. I figured out that I blew a fuse with the clock light and replaced it, I also unplugged the battery and plugged it back in, in this process. Now my dash works, but I can now shift into any gear without applying the break or having the key in the ignition. Along with this, my check engine light and SRS light are now on which were not there before.

Not sure if this is related but some of the fuses on the passenger side fuse box are not getting power when I tested them with my multimeter.

I am really worried I damage and will not be able to fix it since I don't have the funds to take it into a dealer so if you have any idea of what it could be please let me know

Heres a video I took of what I'm talking about:

INK DEMON

Reaction score
If it's driveable, at least take it over to your local AutoZone to get it scanned for the CEL code. There is a way to check it with a paper clip but given the fact you managed to short something out by replacing bulbs, I'm a little hesitant to tell you how to do it.
Start with getting the code scanned.
Fuse 13 (7.5A) on the passenger side protects the ECM/PCM, Heater control panel, Security indicator, Gauges, and clock. I would also check fuse 9 (7.5A) on the driver side too as the clock, gauge, and ignition circuits also connect to that side.

Back