Richard's '03 CL-S 6MT

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
Drove it for about a week and I feel like I can go pretty much anywhere except at a stop light in S.F.:eek: Noticed that the J32 from the hood sounds very different from the J30, when it accelerates. (To me, it sounds like The J32 has airy / windy sound, whereas my V6 Accord has machinelike sound, even with the SRI.) Trying to get use to "ride the clutch" on a speed bump, as if it was my lowered Accord.:driving:

A few things about the car that I further noticed:
  1. -Brake Pads- They're mostly done, so those are all getting replaced soon.
  2. -F. Right Wheel bearing & hub- Coincidently, my Accord is JUST started to show the symptom! Decided to get a new pair for the front, b/c these parts are interchangeable with my Accord! (Otherwise I would've ignored it.)
  3. -Fuel injection- When it fires up at a start, it ignites fine but the fuel sounds like it isn't getting injected / pumped out effectively. Got the fuel injector relay replaced very recently but I feel like the fuel pump is due soon. My Accord is doing a similar thing in a rare occasion, but I'll hold on to this, since the pumps aren't interchangeable. Will see if the injector cleaner will help out a little bit.
  4. -Spool Valve- Can't hear the VTEC kicking in yo. The spool valve housing / the solenoid is probably done. I might leave this as is, and transfer the one from my Accord, when the swap begins, since they're interchangeable.
  5. -No heater?- Seems like the heater control valve got replaced previously, but there might not be warm air coming out at the Full Auto setting. The setting uses the sensor thing on the center of the dash, but that might not be working. The dash surface is relatively expanded by the collection of the condensation from the windshield, which was absorbed into the dash.
  6. -L. Headlight wiring- It's not turning on, and it keeps blowing out the fuse. Makes me want to replace the whole wire harnesses now haha. Will hold on to this for a while, since i'm not driving at night yet.
  7. -Audio Head Unit- The Bose radio works nice, but the compact disc playa is not in the game. I might buy a used oem head unit from eBay, since getting it fixed by the dealership will be in a higher price.
  8. -Tinted windows- Found out that the window films were applied on top of the older films. The rear window is bubbled up so much, I think I'm going to remove it soon, since I can't see shit from the back window haha.
  9. -P.S. Rack- It's leaking but I'll ignore this since it's not a swap-related issue.
  10. -Oil pressure Switch- The area is leaking but I need to double check this again.
  11. -Passenger's side seat- It isn't reclining lol. I bet there's a coin or something stuck between the gear mills.
I'll most likely replace the IM with the '09 TL J37's next after taking care of the footwork issue. Tried to mount the old Broadway mirror, but the factory mirror is so bulky that it won't hold on to the stock mirror at all lol. Been thinking about visiting the dealership to check out the SRS airbag recall issue at one point before the swap begins, or before it explodes on my face.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Ah, the fun of discovering used car oddities haha.

You sure you're running the RPM's up enough to engage VTEC? The cam switches at like 4700rpm or something iirc haha.

I hear you on the airbag thing. The whole Takata debacle was like 3 years ago or something and I checked many times during that to see if my car ever qualified, and it never did. Then I just got a letter in March or something this year saying it did, so apparently I was driving around a deathtrap for a couple years there. So it's been mostly parked since, I have been waiting on the follow up letter that the parts are in for me to take it to a dealer to be fixed. But that still hasn't happened, probably because of the whole COVID thing. I want to start driving it more regularly though, I was going to disconnect the SRS system but someone said if I did get in an accident and it was discovered I tampered with that, it could affect my insurance or something. I don't know if that's true, but I don't want to find out. Anyway I am going to call Honda of America and try to get some type of information, I'll let you know what they say.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
Ah, the fun of discovering used car oddities haha.

You sure you're running the RPM's up enough to engage VTEC? The cam switches at like 4700rpm or something iirc haha.

I hear you on the airbag thing. The whole Takata debacle was like 3 years ago or something and I checked many times during that to see if my car ever qualified, and it never did. Then I just got a letter in March or something this year saying it did, so apparently I was driving around a deathtrap for a couple years there. So it's been mostly parked since, I have been waiting on the follow up letter that the parts are in for me to take it to a dealer to be fixed. But that still hasn't happened, probably because of the whole COVID thing. I want to start driving it more regularly though, I was going to disconnect the SRS system but someone said if I did get in an accident and it was discovered I tampered with that, it could affect my insurance or something. I don't know if that's true, but I don't want to find out. Anyway I am going to call Honda of America and try to get some type of information, I'll let you know what they say.
Haha yea it's fun but I'm glad that these issues are within the scope of my assumptions.:D

Maybe you're right, because I thought it kicks in around 3800 rpm lol. But here's the thing I found on the web:
http://mywikimotors.com/honda-j32a/
It says:
"J32A2 is different from J32A1 by new pistons (compression ratio 10.5), it heads flow is better, J32A Type S cams are more aggressive and are the most sporty of all J-engines camshafts. Here the VTEC system is used that is triggered after 4,800 rpm. A modified 2-Stage intake manifold is used that is triggered after 3,800 rpm. They installed an increased 68 mm throttle body, 36 mm intake valves, stiffer valve springs, and a sportier exhaust system. As a result of these improvements, the power of J32A2 increased to 260 HP @ 6,100 rpm and torque was 314 Nm @ 3,500 rpm. This engine was created for Acura CL Type S and Acura TL Type S."

Not sure if it's the wordings that I'm not getting it right tho.. I wonder if the "modified 2-stage I.M." meant for the J32A2's.

Wow, I didn't know how annoying your recall case was. I know I got this recall b/c the CarFax said that the recall is issued (with the case status: remedy available.) And my SRS light is turned on, so I've been just simply thinking about calling them for an appointment. Hopefully, your case will be processed soon.. Well, maybe it's b/c your wheel came from a different car? I wonder if it's a common problem for people with swapped out OEM+ wheels.

EDIT: Noticed that I said "check out".. but I meant to say "check in" for the service recall issue. Sorry.. My poor Engrish. But thanks for sharing the story.

Last edited:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Parts for the 96-01 Driver's Airbag recall just became available yesterday. They still have to be ordered and typically take a day to come in (at least for me) and are ordered by VIN.

If your SRS light is on, it's not covered under warranty. *However* if your seatbelt doesn't latch and its never been in an accident, it should be covered under warranty as a safety issue.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
^ Not sure if the SRS light is related to the service recall. My CEL scanner didn't say anything abt it. I remember that my Accord's SRS light got turned on a few yrs ago, and it was due to the worn out seat belt buckle. Was replaced under the lifetime warranty, so that might be it first. Anyhow, I will have to drive up to a dealership for sure..

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know how annoying your recall case was. I know I got this recall b/c the CarFax said that the recall is issued (with the case status: remedy available.) And my SRS light is turned on, so I've been just simply thinking about calling them for an appointment. Hopefully, your case will be processed soon.. Well, maybe it's b/c your wheel came from a different car? I wonder if it's a common problem for people with swapped out OEM+ wheels.

I forgot about the IM thing haha.

True, I have a CL-S wheel but it still uses the factory Accord airbag. So the recall is still specific to the car.

Parts for the 96-01 Driver's Airbag recall just became available yesterday. They still have to be ordered and typically take a day to come in (at least for me) and are ordered by VIN.

Hmm interesting, so since I got a letter from Honda my VIN should be on file in the system and the part should be ordered and perhaps delivered to a local dealer. In theory. Or not. Either way I think I'll call the contact info on the letter and see what the deal is.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
Updated:10/13/2020
Remarks:
  1. -Rear right brake- Scratching sound when the wheel rotates. Either the parking brake or the pad.
  2. -Oil pressure Switch- The area is leaking but I need to double check on this again.
  3. -Cabin Air Filters- Pretty sure they're nasty AF.
  4. -SRS Air Bag Service Recall- Need to visit the dealership before the swap happens.
  5. -L. Headlight wiring- It's not turning on, and it keeps blowing out the fuse. Makes me want to replace the whole wire harnesses now haha.
  6. -Audio Head Unit- The Bose radio works nice, but the compact disc playa is not in the game. I might buy a used oem head unit from eBay, since getting it fixed by the dealership will be in a higher price.
  7. -Fuel injection- When it fires up at a start, it ignites fine but the fuel sounds like it isn't getting injected / pumped out effectively. Got the fuel injector relay replaced very recently but I feel like the fuel pump is due soon. Accord is doing a similar thing on a rare occasion, but if it's really the fuel pump, I'll hold on to this, since the pumps aren't interchangeable and not related to the swap. Added the fuel injector cleaner to the tank.
  8. -Spool Valve- Regardless of any type of motor, VTEC usually sounds pretty obvious that you can't really miss hearing it. Waited until 4800 RPM, but I still can't hear the VTEC kicking in yo. The spool valve housing / the solenoid is probably done. I might leave this as is, and transfer the one from my Accord, when the swap begins, since they're interchangeable.
  9. -Auto side mirror tilt on reverse shift- I thought the passenger side tilted a few times, but it stopped working lol.
  10. -Passenger's side seat- It isn't reclining lol. I bet there's a coin or something stuck between the gear mills.
  11. -P.S. Rack- It's leaking but I'll ignore this since it's not a swap-related issue.

Maintenance List (Motor Swap-wise):
– Motor and transmission mounts
– Throttle body gasket
– Throttle Body Cleaning
– Throttle position sensor gasket
– Cylinder Head Covers ----- (From the Accord)
– Cylinder Head Cover Gasket Sets ----- (#12030-P8A-A00)
– Valve Cover Gasket
– Valve Clearance Adjustment
– Rubber Grommets
– Air intake ----- (Injen CAI #RD1660P)
– Exhausts Manifold ----- (DC Sports #HHS5528)
– Exhausts manifold gaskets
– Head gaskets
– EGR Valve & Gasket ----- Done!
– EGR Block off plate??
– Spark plugs ----- Done!
– Spark plug wires (leads)
– Ignition coils ----- Done!
– Distributor Rotor
– Drive belt
– Timing belt ----- Done! @ 108K mi
– Tension pulley
– Idler pulley
– Water pump ----- Done! @ 108K mi
– Oil pump
– Pressure relief valve
– Main Seal (Front & Rear)
– Spool Valve Filter Housing ----- (From the Accord)
– Axle Seals
– Oil Pan Gasket
– Thermostat ----- (From the Accord)
– Radiator hoses Upper ----- (From the Accord)
– Radiator hoses Lower
– Alternator
– Starter
– Clutch
– Flywheel
– Fuel Rail
– Injectors
– Water temperature sensor
– Fuel Pump

J37 Intake Manifold Swap Parts List: (w/o getting the Butterfly Bypass Valve Actuator**)
– OEM ‘09-'14 TL SH-AWD #17160-RK2-A00 ----- MANIFOLD, IN.
– OEM ‘09-'14 TL SH-AWD #17105-RCJ-A01 ----- GASKET, IN. MANIFOLD
– OEM '08-'11 ACCORD V6 AT** #17116-R70-A00 ----- COVER, IN. MANIFOLD (UPPER)
– OEM ‘09-'14 TL SH-AWD #17146-R70-A01 ----- GASKET, IN. MANIFOLD COVER (UPPER)
– OEM ‘09-'14 TL SH-AWD #17181-RCJ-A00 ----- PIPE, EGR
– OEM ‘09-'14 TL SH-AWD #90104-RCJ-A00 ----- BOLT, SPECIAL FLANGE (6X18) Qty.x10
– OEM ‘09-'14 TL SH-AWD #90201-P8E-A00 ----- NUT, CAP (6MM) Qty.x2
– OEM ‘09-'14 TL SH-AWD #92900-06014-0B ----- BOLT, STUD (6X14) Qty.x2
– OEM ‘09-'14 TL SH-AWD #92900-08050-3B ----- BOLT, STUD (8X50) Qty.x2
– OEM ‘09-'14 TL SH-AWD #94050-08080 ----- NUT, FLANGE (8MM) Qty.x2
– OEM ‘09-'14 TL SH-AWD #95701-06035-08 ----- BOLT, FLANGE (6X35) Qty.x2
– OEM ‘09-'14 TL SH-AWD #95701-08065-08 ----- BOLT, FLANGE (8X65) Qty.x7
– P2R '03 CL-S 6MT #P383 ----- J32 TO J37 ADAPTER, IN. MANIFOLD
– P2R '03 CL-S 6MT #P141 ----- GASKET, THROTTLE BODY
– P2R '09-'14 TL SH-AWD #P149 ----- GASKET, THROTTLE BODY

Last edited:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I forgot about the IM thing haha.

True, I have a CL-S wheel but it still uses the factory Accord airbag. So the recall is still specific to the car.

Hmm interesting, so since I got a letter from Honda my VIN should be on file in the system and the part should be ordered and perhaps delivered to a local dealer. In theory. Or not. Either way I think I'll call the contact info on the letter and see what the deal is.

No, they have to be ordered by the dealer, every time. So call in, give them your VIN and schedule your appointment.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
No, they have to be ordered by the dealer, every time. So call in, give them your VIN and schedule your appointment.

Funny, just got the follow up letter today telling me to call a dealer and schedule the appointment. Looking forward to driving the car again regularly!

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
^Sounds like it won't explode on your face! Looking also fwd to seeing many new pics, tooo

Drove this car about a few hundred miles. I still feel like I rev it too high, sweating myself a bit, on an uphill stop 'n go, but I think I got it.:driving: Oh, and I added a fuel injector cleaner for the hell of it.

Honestly, this car is pretty fun on a straight line by speeding up 'n down with more power with 6MT, but that's just about it haha. My Accord is a lot faster and fun in the corner. It's got the comfy seats with nicer audio, but that's really the only good stuff from this car besides my Accord tbh. Maybe the trunk liner can fit on my Accord..

The 1st Type-S, which was applied to this model, has (somehow lol) stiffer suspension with bigger brakes, wheels and engine, but that's about it as far as the speed goes. So it's pretty much all about the motor and MT (maybe seats) haha. It's a big, bulky, and comfy ride, but fun with the 6MT, and it drives like an M3 yet still runs like a champ to this date lol. My Accord pretty much has it all now, and it's a few hundred pounds lighter, so the real fun won't start until the swap is done.

Back