DIY Short shift mod (squishy gears?)

Shane Thomas

Reaction score
Hey all,

So lately I have been getting the mod itch and wanting to improve and change up my accord to make it my own. This is my first Honda I’ve owned out of the 20 something cars I’ve had, and I can honestly say it’s one of the most fun vehicles to upgrade and mod up. So this last weekend I decided to do the DIY short shift fabrication. I went the C clamp route for the cable mod and then I just cut the shaft, cut out the extra I wanted to remove and then weld the threaded part back on. I did this way because it was cheap/free, requires minimal mechanic skills, and was generally a fast and easy modification. Kits on Amazon were ranging anywhere from 120-400 to do basically the same thing I did, just fancier looking, and I don’t know about you but I really hate wasting money on shit you don’t get to see and enjoy. So my way was ugly, but she’s solid as hell and works amazing. It reduced the throw between gears dramatically and shortened the shifter at least 2-3 inches. If looking at the shifter alone, you might mistake it for an s2000 lol. My question for anyone who might have done this mod is regarding the feel or ease of going into certain gears. So far I have had zero problems with sliding into gears from any speed and have had no slippage or iffy shifts. However, when shifting into 1st or 3rd, either up or down shifting, they feel.... squishy? I don’t know really how else to describe it. They go in gear fully and it doesn’t feel like “half in” or anything, just kinda.... squishy. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what have you done to rectify this, squishy sensation? God, ok I’m done with that word now lol. Thanks all and have a great day!

Shane image.jpg

nexTOme

Reaction score
+1 for shifter bushing.
Short throw shifter adapter can also improve the shift feel.
When used in combination, it made the shifting feel much better.
I see Otto racing brand from eBay selling for like 16 bucks.

mrz80

Reaction score
I cut another couple inches' worth of thread onto the lever (boy was THAT hard work, and that die and wrench got HOT!), then chopped a couple inches off the top. Loved the shorter lever, but the long throws meant things still felt a bit sloppy. Then I added a short-shift adapter, and that tightened things up noticeably. The thing's a joy to shift now, just a flick of the wrist.

I worked from a couple how-tos I found a long while back:
http://filtsai.com/accord/cut_shifter/index.php
http://filtsai.com/accord/short_shifter/index.php

Back