J32A2 + 6MT swap in my '01 F23/H23 5MT chassis

Bense

Reaction score
Awesome. Yeah he CL chassis is freaking heavy lol.

3470 lbs for 2003 CL-S 6MT with Navigation System (3446 lbs without Navigation System)

For comparison, my '06 Accord Sedan V6 6MT is listed 3371 lbs.

What I did before to estimate what the 6g Accord would weigh was subtract the '03 CL-S 6MT curb weight from the '03 CL-S 5AT curb weight, to get the delta. It's 64 lbs.

Then I subtracted that from the 6g Accord V6 4AT Curb weight.

2002 Accord Sedan V6 EX 4AT - 3329 lbs
2002 Accord Sedan V6 LX 4AT - 3274 lbs
That would bring it down to 3265 or 3210 lbs. -- granted that the 5AT in the CL-S likely weighs more than the Accord V6 4AT.

2002 Accord Coupe V6 EX - 3283 lbs
2002 Accord Coupe V6 LX - 3236 lbs
So around 3219 or 3172 lbs for the coupe.

3219 lbs vs 3446 lbs. That's 227 lbs weight difference! Holy crap lol

So I guess the 6g coupe weighs about ~93 lbs less than the 6g sedan.

619rcr

Reaction score
Right,
This cls was non-navigation. And the accord is an ex-l coupe. IIRC it was around 3100lbs with me, full interior 15" wheels and the h22 setup.

The seats in the cls are very heavy due to seat heaters and more power motors, i believe around 54 lbs for the driver, slightly less for psgr. So If I run the accord seats or a racing seat and no rear seat that would save even more weight.

Bense

Reaction score
I actually ran the CL-S seats on the Accord seat bottoms with manual recliner. I had to either drill two holes or slot a piece of steel that the seat back bolts onto.

I don't remember exactly what I did. It's the type of thing that you'd be able to figure out pretty easily if you were to attempt it.

Basically, you just go that way. Really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.

619rcr

Reaction score
lol, good quote
At the moment I have the exl seats mated to manual brackets and seat bottom in the prelude. Vice versa in the accord. I would guess 20lb weight savings easy, by removing the power motors, and side air bag.

619rcr

Reaction score
Update on wiring progress: with the exception of 3 wires for intake manifold runner control c101 and c102 are spliced into the 6GA underhood harness. Need to find a place to mount the imrc module. For reference its 5 wires and normally mounted under the driver side dash.

Due to the electronic reverse switch on the 6MT, versus physical switch on the 5MT, had to relocate the CLS reverse relay. Luckily there was a provision for a spare relay in the small underhood relay box near the right front strut tower. A few more wires are still needed to be run on the ecu side. mainly for the evap fuel tank pressure sensor.

Yesterday I swapped over the CLS clutch master cylinder and one half of the clutch line. I had replaced the cls part about a year ago and figured it would be better to replace now. While I was in there I also swapped over the CLS brake master cyl, as it appeared in better condition.

Lastly, I ordered some 75A motor mounts from innovative, waiting on those to arrive before I do the final welding on the passenger side mount.

few more pics...

20210919_105257.jpg

20210919_105402.jpg

20210919_111038.jpg

20210919_111246.jpg

Bense

Reaction score
Whatchu mean about the reverse switch?

Both transmissions have a physical switch for the reverse lights. 27mm socket is needed to pull the reverse light switch off the front of the J trans.

There's 3x 8mm head bolts (M6x1.0 threads) that hold on the reverse lockout solenoid. This engages after 12mph (or something near there) and it moves a pin that prevents you from moving the select lever (side to side motion on the shifter) over to the reverse position, so that you don't accidentally shift into reverse when trying to shift into 6th.

You can drive the trans without it. But it's very easy to unintentionally shift into reverse. When this happens, your transmission (fortunately) will not fly apart, but you'll thread the synchro teeth off of that reverse synchro sleeve and you'll effectively render reverse as inoperable.

I ran into this when I was testing out my close ratio transmission. I didn't have the mainshaft speed sensor close enough to the teeth of mainshaft 3rd gear, so after I exceeded a certain speed, my speedo just dropped to 0mph.

Not sure if you mentioned but I got the Acura service manual for the CL-S, which covers the 2003 6MT. It was one of the more difficult service manuals for me to pirate. If you need it, shoot me a PM.

Also, FWIW, the 7th gen Accord factory service manual has the names of both of the speed sensors swapped. What the 7g service manual calls the "mainshaft speed sensor" is actually the countershaft speed sensor, and vice versa. They corrected this in the 8g Accord Service Manual.

The speed sensor that looks at the mainshaft 3rd gear is the mainshaft speed sensor. The speed sensor that looks at the reverse idler gear, and is close to the clutch housing is the countershaft speed sensor. Not sure if the CL-S manual has this error.

619rcr

Reaction score
Whatchu mean about the reverse switch?
My mistake. Seems what I have been calling reverse switch, some-data calls 'back up light switch'.
Kind of a grainy picture, 2 pin connector on the top of the trans. One wire goes to the rev relay I mentioned and the other to ground. Not sure if this is the same as what you described or perhaps they work in tandem.

bkup light switch.png

619rcr

Reaction score
BTW, here's the cliff notes on C101 & C102 connector conversion. It makes more sense when you have all the individual diagrams to look at. Yellow are the few IMRC wires yet to hookup. green is what is hooked up. Blank, means I have not yet hooked up.

Again this is for 6GA 4cyl 5MT, running CLS 6 MT factory engine harness.

03CLS6 to 6GA 5MT - C101, C102.png

619rcr

Reaction score
Few updates... mounted the imrc module under dash and ran wires through firewall. Reinstalled clutchmasters lfw, stage 3 clutch and cls 6 trans. To correct something earlier in the posts, the cls shifter sits too close to the e-brake handle (unless I never want to use 1st or 2nd gear), so using the 5mt accord shifter with short shift adapter.

Ordered all new ac system components. Still haven't received the 75A mounts.

Notched the front cross member to make room for the p2r headers. Also ordered a 3" magnaflow cat and bit of pipe to retrofit the catback. Anxious to hear the difference from stock manifold and jpipe. Meanwhile heres a few shots of the headers.

20211002_183338.jpg

20211003_101201.jpg

20211003_101234.jpg

20211002_143151.jpg

Bense

Reaction score
My mistake. Seems what I have been calling reverse switch, some-data calls 'back up light switch'.
Kind of a grainy picture, 2 pin connector on the top of the trans. One wire goes to the rev relay I mentioned and the other to ground. Not sure if this is the same as what you described or perhaps they work in tandem.

View attachment 7980

Whatever you do, make certain that your reverse lockout solenoid is functioning. Connect a test light to it and run it back to the cabin if you need to.

When I first got my Frankenstein J-series / FK8 transmission working, I didn't have the distance set properly for the mainshaft speed sensor. My speed sensor was too far away from my AWD TL / FK8 mainshaft 3rd gear. (Side note: The 7th gen Accord factory service manual has the names of the 2 speed sensors mixed up. What the 7g Accord service manual calls the "mainshaft speed sensor" is actually the countershaft speed sensor, and vice versa. Spent way too much time sorting that out!). My speedometer would work until I reached a certain mph, which was 87mph.

Any mph higher than that, the speed sensor wasn't able to get a good reading of the mainshaft 3rd gear, so my speedometer would drop to 0. This by itself isn't that big of a deal. However it also sets your revlimit to 5000rpm, which, also isn't that big of a deal. BUT, the speedometer dropping to 0mph also resulted in my reverse gear solenoid lockout to open up. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I remember getting pissed that my brand new 5th-6th gear synchro sleeve/synchros wouldn't let me shift into 6th gear. Later that day when I got back into my car, I couldn't shift into reverse without it grinding. It then registered with me what I'd done lol. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I guess the cool part is that Honda designed these trans so that if you were to shift into reverse while driving 90+ mph, that only the reverse idler gear synchro sleeve's teeth shred away.

Anyway... lol

Back