New battery, no start, all electrics dead -- Solved!

donco

Reaction score
My 99 4-cyl Accord LX has been sitting for 3 years due to a fender bender. Finally sorting it out. Wouldn't start with a new battery, everything dead. No voltage at the main +12v cable at the fuse box. Crimped the 2 leads on the battery post clamp, all is good now, started right up and runs like a champ. Everything works, lights, blinkers, power windows, door locks, wipers, radio, a/c, blower fan, etc.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Nice. Was it sitting inside or outside all that time? If you haven't yet, check tire condition/pressure, fluid condition/level, etc and put some fresh gas in it. Good luck with the restoration!

donco

Reaction score
Thanks. Had been sitting outside for 3 or 4 years. All maintenance was up to date prior to that, new timing belt, new coolant/flush. I changed the oil & filter just before starting, Has about 1/2 tank of old gas but doesn't seem to care. So far, crimping the positive battery cable splice is the only thing it needed. Slight clicking now in the starter solenoid, cleaning the battery clamp and post seemed to fix it. It has 195k miles so I ordered a new set of solenoid contacts. Denso starters seem to tear them up quickly. A little welding on a new rear quarter panel, some bondo primer and paint and it should be back on the road soon. Good little car, hate to get rid of it.

Back